Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Brushes? Hold the Phone!

This one is a little strange but for some reason if I create a brush, it is only available to me while I'm working on a particular document. However, if I close the program and open it up again the brushes that I had created have totally vanished. Wonder why?

Can you make the brushes permanent. Plus, how do you DELETE a brush you created but don't want anymore?

Mark

Default Re: Brushes? Hold the Phone!

Hi Mark, the brush is saved with the .xar file in which it was created, so you need to save the .xar file to save the brush ~ at least that's how I understand it.
    By the same token, deleting the file deletes the brush.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

See this thread Mark, you must have missed the later posts

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...686#post564686
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I manage my brushes by creating a folder on my hard drive called Xara Brushes I create brushes and keep them in their own .xar documents which are saved to this folder. For example I have a document that is called Christmas Brushes and it is full of Christmas themed brushes. The xara brushes folder is added to my local designs gallery. When I want to use my brushes I open the file I want by double clicking it in the LDG, the file will open and all the brushes it contains will be available in the brushes drop down list or the lines gallery as long as the file remains open.

I usually use the lines gallery when I'm working with brushes. At the top of the list of brushes you will see a folder called document brushes this will contain all brushes in any open documents. You can double click a brush with the free hand/brush tool active and start using it. You can also right click on a brush in the lines gallery and you will get a little context menu that will allow you to rename a brush, copy the brush graphic to the clipboard, and delete the brush. Be sure you really want to delete the brush because this will delete it from all open documents including your original brush file. And it doesn't give a warning!
    Last edited by angelize; 23 November 2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: lousy typing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Snap Frances.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

angelize,

I'm in the process of creating what I hope to be a brush that allows me to type text with an attribute of "varied glowing" from letter to letter, instead of applying a glow shadow to each individual letter. I don't know HOW to do it but I'm trying to figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark321; 24 November 2016 at 04:02 AM.

Mark, to achieve what you want is simple:
    Create your brush.
    Create the text.
    Clone the text.
    Apply a widish stroke.
    Change to editable shapes.
    Ungroup.
    Apply your brush
    Put to back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush-on-text.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	115206  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hello.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	115208Egg,

Actually I was hoping for something more like this, except I want two things: 1) that the shadow be variable sorta like wider at the top of a letter and then narrower at the bottom and reverse that for each letter. AND 2) be able to just type the letters with the effect instead of having to adjust the effect for each letter individually.

I can always dream, can't I? LOL!

Mark

Hi Mark,
    2) be able to just type the letters with the effect instead of having to adjust the effect for each letter individually.
    There's no way that would be possible.

You'll just need to create the effect you wish the hard way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text-odd-shadows.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	115209  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Egg?

I have no idea how you did that. Simply amazing.
    However, I'm convinced there's something like that which can be done.
    I'm a crazy person here. I believe in possibilities. Call me a loon. LOL!
    I'm sure that with all these talented people on TalkGraphics Forum we can find a way to do it so that it doesn't require doing it one letter at a time.
    And it doesn't really have to be every other letter. It can be every two or three letters. That would be fine too.