Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlighten Me

Default Enlighten Me

Well, I must admit I love to learn new stuff. And one thing that has me puzzled is a little page option called grids and rulers. In it there is two options for types of grids. One is called a rectangular grid (which I use often) and the other is called an isometric grid. Now, I have no idea what an isometric grid is useful for. Can anyone here enlighten me with a few examples of its use?

Mark

Default Re: Enlighten Me

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say...
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iso.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	115058  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

nice example bob

there are lots of possible 'isometric' type grids available [including one called 'true' ] but xara only has the one available - you can import them and place them on a background layer

all depends on the perspective that you want

and then there are 'vanishing point' grids where the perspective changes over [perceived] distance all the way to the 'horizon', so things 'get smaller' the 'further away' they are [as in real life]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In case you prefer words: Isometric projection is a method for visually representing three-dimensional objects in two dimensions in technical and engineering drawings.

You can find a fuller explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

It is an axonometric projection in which the three coordinate axes appear equally foreshortened and the angle between any two of them is 120 degrees
    technical words

I guess when it says axonometric it means without perspective in the 'vanishing point' sense of perspective, as opposed to the angle of the grid to as a notional 'floor' ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

isometric grids have 30deg/60deg angles
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Also be advised that Xara's isometric grid is often criticised for not being the standard 120 / 60 / 30 degree angles.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, guys!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colorful Blocks.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	115076

Sorry Mark, but in no way is your drawing isometric.

Here's my opinion of how it should look as an isometric drawing within Xara.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isometric-2.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	115077  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 15 November 2016 at 01:28 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

LOL! Egg! I was just trying to throw something together just to get the gist of it all. I know my image sucks! But thanks for going to the trouble to set me straight.
    "I stand corrected," said the man in the orthopedic shoes. LOL!

Mark