Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Page size restriction

Can anybody tell me before I upgrade, if the page size restriction in Designer Pro has been lifted in 365?

It isn't a deal breaker but it would be nice to know if it has, as I work in the POS industry and all artwork and tooling drawings are 100% of their size, so it would be nice to have everything setup so it can just be printed.

Thanks in advance.

Dahzee

Default Re: Page size restriction

Yes, the page size limitation is gone. But do note that there are industry limitations, such as Acrobat not being able to view PDFs larger than 200 and some inches in any one direction. There is a means of getting larger pages to export and be usable in Acrobat, though.

Also, there are still certain limitations as regard processing heavy images/drawings. So keep it reasonable for the job at hand and there shouldn't be issues. I have done banners to 200".

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply, all I need now is Xara to work with Autocad files and it is perfect!

Dahzee

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply, all I need now is Xara to work with Autocad files and it is perfect!

Dahzee
    You're welcome.

I don't understand why Xara hasn't advertised this feature.

I get tech drawings made from various packages from time to time. Usually I have them send me a PDF. This has worked out well for me. But I do also get the odd DXF, etc. I convert those to PDF via a little application I picked up a whole lot of years ago. That has worked out fine, too as long as they aren't true 3D drawings.

Mike

Just checked: you can make a page larger than 2.7 m in the current version but the maximum size of a bitmap is still limited to about 16,000 pixels. On a 6 x 6 m image the dpi drops to about 70. Would have been nice if the limit on that would have been dropped as well so I would have been able to use a dpi of at least 150.

I got as far as 4.3M, 16,252 pixels, square [264.1MP in bitmap gallery]

at 4.4M I got a message to say that the requested bitmap copy [at 96dpi] was too big

a xar file containing only the 4.3M bitmap was 236MB in size, and when opened was using a tad under 1.1GB of memory

I think this is pushing the limits of what the program rendering engine can currently cope with.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks handrawn. Roughly the same result as I had.

The size of any single image is limited. Has anyone tried multiple smaller images that, in particular, add up to a larger pixel dimension than a single one? I know that a couple banners I have done that have a full-sized image in the background had to be sliced into 3 parts (in an image editor) and reassembled in XDP--and that applied to previous version as well. The PDFs that were generated were fine.

no problem with having multiple images of 16,000 pixels each [so far]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...