Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default changing the colour of an object in a photo to white

I was wondering how to change the colour of an object in a photo specifically to white.

None of the colours under the 'Photo Hue' tab are actually white - they are all the colours of the rainbow. Perhaps white is not considered to be a colour as such, but I thought there must be some way to create white?

Default Re: changing the colour of an object in a photo to white

Can you post an example?

You can use the Photo Tool > Select Color to Enhance to select a color or range of colors. Would that work? I use this frequently to make a black or white background transparent.

Thanks Gary

That's what I do: Enhance Photos tool > Select Colours to enhance. I select the part of the photo that I want to change to white (in this case a yellow shirt that I want to be white)... but then what? If I use the 'Photo Hue' tool that's when I get all the colours of the rainbow to choose from but no white. I don't want transparency, I want white as you would choose any other colour.

(Hopefully this example is standard enough to not have to post an example, because I don't as yet know how!)

Would reducing saturation and increasing brightness have the effect you are after?

Try this:
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you Siran and Egg for your responses.

I must say I am quite amazed at the time and effort you put in Egg, with the video complete with commentary.

I think my question has been answered indirectly in that no one has said, yes you can change a colour to white. Instead alternative methods of achieving a similar effect have been offered.

The result of going to ultra Brightness settings is positive in that it achieves white, but not quite what I’m looking for because it bleaches out the natural tonal variations.

Perhaps in a future version of Xara the Photo Hue tool could be modified to include white and black in its choice of colours? It could be presented like the Colour Editor: the Colour Editor includes both a linear hue adjuster and a more versatile square where you can move the cursor to the black at the bottom of the square, or to the white at the top right hand corner of the square.

I don't know if this is any help to you but you can get white using Photo tool > change colour. The first image shows all the Chinese dancers all in blue, the second image, I changed the skirt colours to purple, orange, green, yellow and the decking and other parts of the image and one skirt to white.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancers.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	115059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colour change.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	115060  

What you could do is follow Egg's directions for making a selection of the colors that you would like to make white and then use the FX "Polarised Grayscale" and adjust the slider to achieve the result you're after.

Name:	Color to B&W.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	115061  

The Polarised Grey Scale seems to work fine as well Boy. I used it on the skirt to make white skirt, fiddled about with it by giving it a Linear Trans. Hard Light with a Profile 2. I reckon a bit more time on it and you could get it pretty perfect but just wanted to see if your suggestion would work on this image and it did

Stygg

Name:	Polarised Greyscale.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	115063  

Hi Stygg. Excellent. I can't find
    Photo tool > change colour
    . I remember having this in older versions. Can you show us a screen grab of the tool & it's options?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host