Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default And as frustration mounts...

I spent the better part of 6 months researching a font design. Armed with the late 17th & early 18th century examples of a type design I collected from the only known printed examples, I spent that last year carefully drawing out the glyphs in XDP and transferring them into my font editor. A regular and bold with corresponding italics, 554 glyphs in each.

Having spent 3 days scripting the OpenType features...with one full day simply solving the long-standing issue with using arbitrary fractions in various page layout applications--simply by turning them on and leaving them on--I cannot test any OpenType features in the application I used to design the font.

Maybe, just maybe, one day I will be able to use this labor of love in XDP.

Mike

Default Re: And as frustration mounts...

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    ...I cannot test any OpenType features in the application I used to design the font.

Maybe, just maybe, one day I will be able to use this labor of love in XDP.

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    I agree!

Until then...download Affinity Designer Beta here: https://affinity.serif.com/forum/ind...-windows-beta/. It supports Open Type font features.
    ~Fred

Hi Fred--thanks. I am testing/using AD. I have since it was available.

It works properly with these fonts in all respects...

Take care, Mike

~Fred

What really gets my goat is that Xara includes the word "Pro" in its title, which seems to me to be misleading at best and possibly infringing trade description laws at worst.
    To be considered a Pro(fessional) application I would have thought that one of the criteria it would have to meet is full open type support, like the big boys on the block:-
    Illustrator, Photoshop, CorelDraw and latterly Serif. Instead, I'd bracket it with the also-rans of the graphic world:- Inkscape and MS Office.
    If Xara wants to be considered truly Pro, then full open type support has to be part of the equation along with true vector brushes. Until then it's just one of the minnows.
    That's the reality. My advice, Xara - forget all the fluff and bling that gets churned out at new update time and concentrate on the serious (y'know, professional) stuff.
    Edit: Probably having a Mac version would create an aura of professionalism, too.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.