Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MENU ON MOBILE VARIANT NOT WORKING IN SAFARI

The menu in my mobile variant doesn't work in Safari on iPhone, or iPad. This menu works perfectly on my Android device. The menu is on a pop-up layer, and if I move it to the MouseOff layer, it works fine, but as soon as I put it back on the pop-up layer it stops working. Why is the menu not working on a pop-up layer? I certainly can't leave it on the main layer. I also noticed that "press-hold", "open in new tab" does work on iPhone. My website is http://www.shutterqueen.com.

If you don't have something relevant to the thread topic to contribute, please keep your comments to yourself. I'm not looking to be "coached" on my website quality, and the last thread got shut down for irrelevant comments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: MENU ON MOBILE VARIANT NOT WORKING IN SAFARI

Menus require MouseOff and MoveOver Layers to operate from if there are rollover effects.
    If you add one to a Pop-up layer, you need the same construction. Search Help for "layers":
    Layer ordering in website documents

If your website document has mouseover effects, pop-up layers and perhaps even mouseover effects on those pop-up layers, there are some important rules you need to follow in terms of how you order the layers in your document.
    Considering the layers in turn from background to foreground (which is working upwards in the Page & Layer Gallery), first you must have all the static layers. These are layers which are always visible and are not used as pop-ups. In most designs there will only be one – the "MouseOff" layer. But some designs may have several, in which case they must be the first layers in the layer stack.
    Next comes the MouseOver layer, if there are mouseover effects on the static layer(s). This contains the mouseover states for all your mouseover buttons. This must be followed by the "MouseDown" layer, if you have mousedown effects on the static layer(s).
    Next you may have a pop-up layer. If the objects on this pop-up layer have mouseover effects, then the next layer following the pop-up layer must be the layer holding those effects. It must have a name that begins with "MouseOver", E.g. "MouseOverPop-up1". And then if the pop-up layer also has mousedown effects, a layer whose name begins with "MouseDown" must follow containing those effects.
    Then you can have another pop-up layer, followed again by any mouseover and mousedown layers for that pop-up layer. And so on - you can have as many pop-up layers as you like.
    MouseDown pop-up n
    MouseOver pop-up n
    Pop-up layer n
    MouseDown pop-up 1
    MouseOver pop-up 1
    Pop-up layer 1
    MouseDown
    MouseOver
    Static layer n
    Static layer 2
    MouseOff

Note that you only need to be concerned with these ordering rules if you are building complex pages with multiple pop-up effects! If you are just using the template designs provided in the Designs Gallery, you should not have any problems with layer ordering.
    Acorn

P.S. If is kinder not to use SHOUTY CAPITALS in the Thread Title.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Sorry about the caps in the title. Bad habit.

Building popups, even layers deep, I can do. This was one popup layer, with simple text links, on top of the MouseOver layer (which had nothing on it). I tried everything you mentioned before you even commented, and I just couldn't get it working. I ended up taking Egg's advice, and deleting literally everything involved including the layers and re-constructing it. I used simple text links on the popup layer, and now it works.

Have a look: http://www.shutterqueen.com

I think it may have had something to do with the fact that I originally built it as a web animation mouse over rather than a link to a popup layer in the LINK dialog box. I don't think it liked that I started out that way. My Galaxy was fine with it, but not Safari. Food for thought.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by edmiston99; 26 October 2016 at 10:04 PM.
    IP

glad that you got it to work
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hello Edmiston 99, I just looked at your site on my Windows phone and the drop down worked perfectly, but getting the links on the menu to work seems to be a bit problematical. The only one that worked from the Home page seemed to be the Contact button and the only one from that page was the About button. This may be a problem with the interaction with the operating system rather than your site per se but I thought you might want to know about it anyway.

I was interested in the fact that you used a pop-up layer for the menu as I have had problems with that so I have downloaded your file to study, I hope that's ok, even though you are using a different version of Xara. I gather the file you posted is the one that didn't work and that you've changed it since, but it might help.

Kind regards,
    Tinkerbell.
    P.S. I noticed you referred to Egg's comments, were these on a different thread? If so, could you post a link please?
    IP

P.S. I noticed you referred to Egg's comments, were these on a different thread? If so, could you post a link please?
    Hi Tinkerbell. I think that thread has been locked for reasons I won't go into here. Basically edmiston99's nav bar wouldn't work in Safari on either an iPhone or an iPad. I merely recreated one that it by-passed Ed's problem. Here's the link

I've tested your site on my Android, iPhone & iPad and it works fine. One issue is in landscape, on any mobile, due to you having the menu Stick to Top you can't see menu items below Contact.

Another method I use on mobiles is to create a completly seperate page for the menu, rather than a pop-up layer. I prefer it and it takes the same number of clicks.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Another method I use on mobiles is to create a completly seperate page for the menu, rather than a pop-up layer. I prefer it and it takes the same number of clicks.
    can you enlarge on thet, egg, sounds very interesting but i'm not sure how you implement that
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    Hello Edmiston 99, I just looked at your site on my Windows phone and the drop down worked perfectly, but getting the links on the menu to work seems to be a bit problematical. The only one that worked from the Home page seemed to be the Contact button and the only one from that page was the About button. This may be a problem with the interaction with the operating system rather than your site per se but I thought you might want to know about it anyway.

I was interested in the fact that you used a pop-up layer for the menu as I have had problems with that so I have downloaded your file to study, I hope that's ok, even though you are using a different version of Xara. I gather the file you posted is the one that didn't work and that you've changed it since, but it might help.

Kind regards,
    Tinkerbell.
    @Tinkerbell, Here is the file that ultimately worked:
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post

Kind regards,
    Tinkerbell.
    @Tinkerbell. Egg's comment was to simply delete all elements having to do with this menu and start over.

I don't know if this is true, but my feeling is that building the popup layer with a web animation was the problem. When I built it with a link to the popup layer on the "Web Properties/Link" dialog tab, it started working. Changing it to "link to popup" didn't help once it was had been an animation. I had to delete and rebuild the menu with "link to popup" initially before it helped.

I also used simple text links (highlight text, add a link) to keep it as simple as possible. It sounds like the Windows phone may still be an issue, but it works like a champ on the iPhone now. I wish I had a Windows phone to test it on. Let me know what you learn, if it's not too much trouble.

I don't know if you checked it out recently, but making the popup menu larger seemed to help too. Try it now if you haven't http://www.shutterqueen.com.
    IP

Not very difficult to follow Frank, see attachment. You could of course expand on this idea.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP