Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can Xara export webpages to individual HTML pages (instead of a single index.htm)?

When I go look at my website files (created in an old webpage maker) on my web hosting dashboard, I see a list something like:

about.html
    contact.html
    directions.html
    index.html
    faq.html

etc.

When you visit my site, you see the address of each page as "mysite.com/about.html," "mysite.com/contact.html," etc. (and with the index.html page just appearing as "mysite.com").

My website has been up continuously for many years, and I have a lot of links to my various pages from other websites. So, I don't want to change the names of my pages or I'll break all those valuable links from other sites.

I recently re-did my website in Xara Web Designer 11 Premium to look more modern and be Responsive Web Design, and I carefully named each new page in Xara to match the page names I already have, hoping to replace my old about.html (for example) with a new, shiny Xara-made about.html, etc.

However, when I publish from Xara, it only uploads a single index.htm file, and did not overwrite my old index.html file. I then tried exporting the Xara website as an html file, but it still only exports a file called index.htm. When I view either the Xara-published index.htm or the html exported index.htm, I see all my pages, all built into the one index file. The pages have an address like "mywebsite as HTML/index.htm#xl_xr_page_about," which is totally different than "mywebsite.com/about.html," so outside links to my site won't work.

I can always go to my individual files and have them redirect to the new Xara site, but I would rather keep my file names in tact if possible.

Is there a way to get Xara to export each page as individual html files so I can upload and overwrite my existing pages, or do RWD sites have to be in a single index file or something?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Can Xara export webpages to individual HTML pages (instead of a single index.htm)

If you're exporting as a supersite then all pages will be on the one index.htm file. You need to export as a conventional website (Web Properties -> Website -> Web Export Options) to get the individual page files.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Default Re: Can Xara export webpages to individual HTML pages (instead of a single index.htm)

Awesome thank you. If I do that, will the pages still be RWD, or can only supersites have RWD?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfinsoup View Post
    Awesome thank you. If I do that, will the pages still be RWD, or can only supersites have RWD?
    Only if you have created the Variants that become the responsive views.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you. I'm not good enough with this program yet to even know. I have certainly created both an index for PC and mobile, a FAQ page for pc and mobile, etc. But, I think I will just route the old pages to the new ones so I can leave the index as a single file the way Xara produced it.