Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Desert Island Fonts

In case you don't know, there's a radio programme on the BBC called Desert Island Discs. Each week it features a celebrity "Castaway" and they can choose 8 records to take with them to this mythical island. The Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare are already on the island.
    That's what I'm trying to explain here, only it's fonts not records.

You, the Castaway, are allowed to choose up to 8 fonts that you would take to the island on a usb drive and in this instance a sun-powered laptop is at your disposal along with a Xara software of your choice and one other software program.

Here's my choice: From the Latinotype Foundry basically any 8 I'm not bothered too much which ones, as long as Latina, Latino Samba and Branding are included.
    I'll also opt for Illustrator loaded with the Astute Graphics plugins.

I'd be interested to know what your choices would be...
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2120.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	114686  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Desert Island Fonts

Bob,

I think you copped out a little with just picking the foundry ...

My picks for what it's worth are a little more conservative, they seem to cover most of my requirements.

I'd select (in no specific order) ... Brochure, Cooper Black, Corbel, English 111 Vivace, Gotham, Microgramma, Tekton Pro and Arial Unicode MS ... However, the only reason I'm taking the Arial, is that it contains over 38,000 characters.

The other software would be Zoner Photo Studio Pro.

Name:	Desert Island Fonts.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	114785  
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Desert Island Fonts

Aaah, good ol' Cooper Black. Back in the days of decent rock music, Cooper Black appeared on some great album covers including the late 60s Ode label recordings of Spirit, with a modified S and R. Also used on Traffic's 1968 album Mr. Fantasy.
    This example features some home-made halftones using Astute Graphics Phantasm plugin. The asterisks were made by creating a symbol from the Cooper Black asterisk.
    Bob.

Name:	Supercooper.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	114855  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.