Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Really worried

Default Really worried

I've been a Xara user since 2000. Love it and can't imagine what I'd use instead. I'm really worried however, bout the recent games Microsoft is playing with Windows 10, worse it seems that their trying to make windows 7 unusable on ASUS motherboards. I gather ther is a plan as well to make Windows a subscription OS. Xara is the only reason I haven't gone over to Linux on my main computer. My wife's laptop has been on Linux Mint for over a year with absolutely no problems. So what I'm asking is: Is there no way Xara could be ported for Linux. There once was a project to do this, but it died after producing a very elementary form of Linux. I would hate to lose Xara. but windows is getting more and more irritating.
    Cheers, and sorry if that sounded like an anti Windows rant, it's not meant to be
    Seadog

Default Re: Really worried

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I've been a Xara user since 2000. Love it and can't imagine what I'd use instead. I'm really worried however, bout the recent games Microsoft is playing with Windows 10, worse it seems that their trying to make windows 7 unusable on ASUS motherboards. I gather ther is a plan as well to make Windows a subscription OS. Xara is the only reason I haven't gone over to Linux on my main computer. My wife's laptop has been on Linux Mint for over a year with absolutely no problems. So what I'm asking is: Is there no way Xara could be ported for Linux. There once was a project to do this, but it died after producing a very elementary form of Linux. I would hate to lose Xara. but windows is getting more and more irritating.
    Cheers, and sorry if that sounded like an anti Windows rant, it's not meant to be
    Seadog
    Seadog, the market potential of windows for consumer/semi-professional software such as Xara, dwarfs that of Linux.

I would say there's little likelihood of Xara/Magix supporting Linux (though I don't know). Xara doesn't even support Mac.

There's no point in worrying about these things.

Windows 7 was great, but it's getting old now. People do have issues with Windows 10, but generally it seems to work far better than Windows 8. The future is with Windows 10. I loved WindowsNT, but there you go..

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    People do have issues with Windows 10, but generally it seems to work far better than Windows 8.
    I actually like Windows 10 better than Windows 7. It's faster, 'prettier' and (almost) fully customizable. I turned off all the settings that could compromise my privacy and I leave Cortana for others to enjoy. Funny enough some old software that wouldn't work under Windows 7 now works again under Windows 10 and my scanner from 2002 is still purring away happily.

I do have to get used to the forced updates as I feel I lost some control over my computer but in fact accepted all recommended (and most optional) updates when using Windows 7. The system tools are better organized than in Windows 7 but still need some work to make them really consistent and accessible/intuitive. Overall I think they did a good job and their free offer to upgrade was a nice bonus.

Hi Seadog,
    I'm a Xara-User from Germany and I love/hate this piece of software. In an other thread I wrote my expierience with switching to Mac and OSX. Using Xara in Parallels or other virtual machine ist not a deal for me.

After Win 10 I'm happy again with it. It does all I need. I'm a professionel Grafik-Designer and for the most of my work I use Xara.
    Since Windows is a multiplatform OS I enjoy my Windows 10 tablet which is for 100,– € from China and Xara and all my other desktop Programms runs like a charm, incl. Photoshop CC. On i-Pad you don't have this. In future there will be some new machines provided by MS. Take a saerch on Google for MS-Studio line and you will see that MS don't forget the desktop.

To set up Win 10 to be save to my privacy it tooks not much and I does it only once.
    That's my expierience.

Great website Ernie!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Great website Ernie!

Again, thank You verry much.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    worse it seems that their trying to make windows 7 unusable on ASUS motherboards. I gather ther is a plan as well to make Windows a subscription OS
    if you mean the 'secure boot violation' error appearing after a recent windows update, it's actually an asus problem because their boards do not disable secure boot for windows 7 by default, which they should, because windows 7 does not support it - you can usually sort it out in bios, eg: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016356/
    [microsoft have a solution too I believe]

I doubt widows home will ever be a [forced] subscription OS; less sure on windows pro, though if anything it would be windows enterprise that went that way I would have thought

as others have said, windows 10 is a much better OS in terms of stability/performance/etc

if you are worried about privacy then, unless you are already a linux wizz-kid, the things you need to do to protect privacy in win10, even to the extent of shutting off some services, are likely easier for you to manage than learning how to use linux properly - if you are content just to use linux 'straight out of the box' fair enough... but I'm betting you might find that restrictive....
    Last edited by handrawn; 30 November 2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: default
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...