Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Better (sub) pixel control in Web-Documents please!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    With "scale line widths" enabled use the edge handles of the Selector tool (not the corner handles) to resize your rectangle. Line width will then not be affected.Phil
    That's actually interesting (and afaik undocumented :o)

Is it correct to say that line-scaling only kicks in with proportional scaling, either
    via corner-handles, or when entering values into the size boxes (with closed padlock)?

Here's
    btw. how this stuff looks in Illustrator.
    One may simply let the Line width grow towards the inner and everything remains on full pixels, in conjunction with pixel-snap.

PS: Hit the allowed attachment size with a gif of just a bit over 100kb btw.
    Maybe one could raise those values a bit in 2016 ;o)

Hoja, thank you for your web file. I've learned something I never knew before.

Basically if you create a rectangle on mouse-off layer, Xara exports that as an html defined rectangle. See the section within the green bordered highlight in the attachment. But if you create Ctrl + Shift +V the rectangle into the mouse-over layer, Xara exports this as a bitmap image, not an html defined rectangle. See the blue highlighted text that loads the 28.png image. This is what's causing your jump on mouse-over, particularly if you have odd sized pixel borders as opposed to even sized pixel borders.

You can avoid this by creating a grouped rectangle, with a smaller internal rectangle which forces Xara to create a png for mouse-off layer.

Not really meeting your Xara wish list I know but hopefully explaining the problem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoja.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	114697  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    But if you create Ctrl + Shift +V the rectangle into the mouse-over layer, Xara exports this as a bitmap image, not an html defined rectangle.
    See the blue highlighted text that loads the 28.png image. This is what's causing your jump on mouse-over, particularly if you have odd sized pixel borders as opposed to even sized pixel borders.

That's new to me as well – I thought both were recreated in the Browser!

The effect is probably caused by a combination of factors...
    Objects not sitting on even pixels to begin with (although the size and coordinates boxes state otherwise) and
    then both even get different treatment afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    You can avoid this by creating a grouped rectangle, with a smaller internal rectangle which forces Xara to create a png for mouse-off layer.
    Of course I'd rather the opposite to happen in such simple cases :o)
    Both MouseOff and Mouseover rectangles should get recreated inside the Browser. Other Vector geometry should preferably
    export as .svg with a fallback solution for older Browsers.

In my present case I use Bitmaps with borders on MouseOff and Text-Panels with quick descriptions on MouseOver.
    The latter again get rasterized – but as I now have painstakenly aligned everything, using Phils hint and with grid snap
    set to 1px / custom square guide objects I see no misalignment issues currently. But I can't call this workflow elegant.

I rarely use outlines for my web work, prefering to use a black filled shape without a stroke, clone it, change fill to white and use the contour tool to create an inner single contour and hit the inset path icon, as mentioned earlier on in this thread if I remember correctly.

I know this doesn't help your way of working but I only repeat it as an alternative.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host