Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default slightly annoying font problem

I was repairing a friend's pc fairly recently and he said I could take a copy of any fonts I wanted.
    Purely for research properties, of course, I copied a bunch of them for my own personal enjoyment, but I noticed that some of them weren't showing up in the expected place in Xara's Font Gallery (see screen shots). They were at the top of the gallery and not in the alphabetical order of my own fonts. This was also happening in Illustrator and Affinity. I noticed that the affected fonts all had a character inserted at the beginning of the name of the font.
    I tried renaming the fonts using Typograf but this did not move them into the main body of the listed fonts.
    Anyone have any idea how I can fix this slightly annoying problem?
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font gallery1.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	114427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	114428  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: slightly annoying font problem

Whatever ripped the fonts changed the internal naming. A font editor can be used to alter the internal naming. Of the free ones, I would think FontForge would be preferable as I don't think it will alter any OT Feature code. Be prepared for what has to be one of the worse UIs there are. The only non-font editor that I think can change the internal naming is TransType by FontLab.

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I used font forge to no avail.
    I changed the font name under the Element/Font Info...Menu, but there's no change in Xara's Font Gallery
    I see what you mean about the UI. It's a cool icon for the program though.
    Bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Names (can) occur in more than location in a font.

Feel free to PM me a link to a ZIP of one family of these fonts and I can likely let you know what to do.

Mike

Thanks a lot, Mike. I've sent you the link.
    Bob.