Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which Windows to upgrade to: 7, 8.1, 10

Yes my Windows 10 (1607) update screwed up my logitech webcaom 310 launcher program..and I can't find a fix LOl
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Yes my Windows 10 (1607) update screwed up my logitech webcaom 310 launcher program..and I can't find a fix LOl
    Jim
    I have the same issue and read that Microsoft is aware of the problem and will fix it with a future update. It's not clear when though.

10. Windows 7 will be unsupported soon & you'll be in the same boat as you are with Vista. 8 is horrible. I eventually bit the bullet & went from 7 to 10. It was almost painless and I've had very little software compatibility problems.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have been using 10 on my home PCs for a year now. With the addition of Start10 from Stardock, I've been able to get it to work as much like 7 as I need to in order to get around and get my work done.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

The falter (stuck in update process) was a result of the LogiTech USB transmitter for my wireless mouse and keyboard. The solution was to scrub them from the system (uninstall), complete all updates, then reinstall. Everything has worked fine since. (knock on wood.) On a side note, the VAST majority of hardware problems I have encountered since late '80s has included LogiTech equipment. I use it but I am not surprised that I still encounter problems.

Hi,
    Windows 10 just downloaded another update and my Logicam 310 is working now!! Just for information..
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

You seriously need to consider the age of your PC. I have a DELL 3550 laptop that came with Win 7 Pro. I allowed the Win 10 upgrade to proceed, but it failed to find a full set of drivers for it, so I had to return to 7 Pro. Support for 7 finished in 2015, so that's not a good start for an 'upgrade' even if you can get legitimate installation media.

My best advice would be to get a new, faster PC with plenty of memory and with Windows 10 pre-installed. As a benefit, you will be safer on the www because you'll have all the latest updates available. Oh, and backup, backup, backup!
    Last edited by jaydear; 30 September 2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add comment

I bought a cheap AMD quad with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB hard drive for about $225. Win10 came pre-installed and I know that cost the OEM about $89. I keep alive a Linux box, which originally cost me $1,800 in 2002, that has had everything replaced except the motherboard and the cabinet. I prefer Linux for programming. For Xara I had to have Win10.

As far as your Magix Video Pro X... IMHO the Intel processor with a graphics card could be a big conflict running a video editing software and I say that from experience with 3D software that REQUIRED Intel motherboards with XYZ GPU card. Instead, I like how AMD is onboard graphics and steals RAM from the hardware SIMMs to keep many active windows going.

Win10 has very good memory management, in 64-bit anyway. That fact made me overlook that Windows discovered my home network, my cell phone, my automobile, my security system and my entertainment system and recommends I install MS apps on each device. I don't think so.

Hi victor_charlie. Thank u for my brief stroll down memory lane. I'm not sure where to look for that bare-bones box for $250 with a quad processor. I used to have the nose and skill to do that. It does make me think. My current box has definitely seen better days, but I've augmented the 1 TB with a second hd @ 7200 rpm and 5 external usb drives for storage and backup. By looking at it from that angle getting new bones might be possible. Thank u for something to make me think about.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrege08 View Post
    I'm not sure where to look for that bare-bones box for $250 with a quad processor...
    In Dallas, you might start at Frys or Microcenter. The current Microcenter deal is more expensive, but I have liked dealing with them more. If you look around, you can also find small mom and pop stores (or used to be able to).