Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default How to create a line with a gradient fill

Rik posted a feature request in the Dear Xara Forum for the ability to create to give a line a gradient fill. While Xara can not do this the way other programs do there are ways to do this in Xara software.

Feel free to share your methods here!
    Last edited by angelize; 26 September 2016 at 06:34 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default how to create a line with a gradient fill

The long way round is to use a gradient fill on a number of thin lined-up rectangles and turn these into an Art Brush.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Gradient Fill on a line?

I think acorn has the best idea except I would make the rectangle fairly large because the brush will render as raster not vector. I'll put a mini tut together tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Similar with Art Brushes in Xara:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gradient Line.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	114392

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Depending on the line and the length you could apply a blend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blend.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	114393  

Like this? Although probably still classed as a work around, it may simplify what you need to achieve, Rik.

All the original properties of the line ... adjust with shape editor, and even edit its width with set line width ...

Name:	2016.09.26_13h45m30s_001.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	114402  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angelize; 26 September 2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: removed reference to a comment from the other thread.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Great solution Keith. You can get some sweet editable effects using this.

Name:	line-with-gradient.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	114409  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

a very interesting approach Keith. A bit more work to set up than an artbrush when you want to apply it to a filled shape though.

Here is a mini tut showing how I did with an artbrush. you could set up a collection of these gradient brushes and very quickly apply through the line gallery!

Name:	gradientlinesbrushes.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	114410  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think there are a lot of ways to code the feature, at least "approaches" seeing as I know zip about code (zip code, that was a play on words), but if you do not want to eschew workarounds at the moment:

1. Create the outline of your dreams and then convert the line to a shape, and do your gradient thing.

2. A different approach is to create a one-step Contour, simplify it so it detaches from your main shape, and then fill it. The advantage to this is you can determine the size of the "line", and adjust it to your liking until you decide to detach it.

-g