Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X1 Installation

John

I just downloaded the new version and both on the splash screen and the Help file show 1 June.

I do not believe that X1 is configured to search for updates, although there is no reason why it could not do this. Most software these days alert you when an update is available.

Gary

Gary, check the Help -> Check for Updates menu that John points to: Xara does look for updates.

John, the previous version was called Xara X 1.1 DL. The 1 June version is also called Xara X 1.1 DL. I'm not sure how there can be two versions of the same version, but perhaps the Update box checks the version number... which hasn't changed?

It might be less confusing if there was Xara X 1.11, 1.12 etc... I remember when Xara X first came out and we had similar confusion with patches and versions of patches, and was 1.0CD better than 1.0DL...

Daniel,

That be what I talkin' about. :}

I will download version 01 June 2004 and manually install.

J

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Ummm Guys,

A program will go through many, many changes and probably a couple revisions between 1.0 and 1.1. The total group of files is called version 1 or 1.01 of the program. When the final package is put together the programmer has the option of changing the everything from the revision (1, 2 etc), the changes (1.1, 1.01, etc) the build (001 thru 999 usually) or just the build date.

I do not think the final X1 has even been released to go to pressing yet. Xara is giving us (the users of this forum) the chance to be unofficial Charlie testers.

(Alpha testers - usually in house... Bugs can be bad enough to crash windows/total reload the Hardive - from Del*.*)

(Beta testers - select few out of house to make sure big crashes are gone, little crashes are far and few between, most pain in the a__ bugs are gone.)

(Charlie testers - Even larger group of trusted souls who put the razors edge on a piece of software... Microsoft/Adobe/Macromedia/Corel never use Charlie testers - come to think of it, I am not sure if they use beta testers http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif )
    John/DOT

JohnR is basically right. We have not yet shipped any CDs out to anyone who has bought the product - the unlocked trial will work for a number of weeks (at least 10, IIRC). The CD will have the latest build on it, including lots of bug fixes since the first download trial that was available.

With this in mind, until the CD has been released, there will be nothing reported when you click "Update". After the CD has been released, if there are updates/patches, this will be notified via the Update message.

Also, the Update message will tell the user of the next version(s) of Xara X as and when they become available.

So please don't worry about the Update stuff showing "There are no updates available". You can download a newer trial and install it over the top of your current (unlocked) trial. But remember that when the CD is released, it will be newer than any trial version that you may have.

I hope this has clarified the situation, in this topic and in any others that mention the whole Update feature...!

AlexL

Thanks for the info, Alex; is there a version history available anywhere outlining the changes/fixes between download versions?

I think they have been too busy rewriting and debugging to do anything except scribble a few notes. It takes a meeting with all the programmers and management to combine all these notes into something that can be released to the public.
    John/DOT

NO that can't be right John. I'm quite sure that all the bug fixes and what not are all documented. I was doing some PM'ing with Neil today about the brush engine and some of my findings and observations and I asked him in the last email that I sent to him if it would be possible to post the "history" info so those of us that are interested can read through. I think he had gone home by the time I sent my last email, so maybe I'll get a response tomorrow.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Richard,

So are those just Neils notes? How many sharks are feeding on this carcass right now? Who is knawing on what, at any particular instant? Big bites are logged, little nibbles are jotted down.

I know when I program I have trouble keeping track of which things I changed on which version. Throw a half dozen programmers into the mix, each fixing their "part" and more stuff will get fixed without a common bug tracking. You start fixing one thing, then find another while you are debugging. You doodle it down, but not everyone knows everything all the time. I think they are busting their chops trying to get it right for the release.
    John/DOT

I just think that Charles runs a tighter ship that that. In order to know when one fix causes a new bug to show up there has to be documentation in order to back track. I guess we won't know for sure untill Charles logs on and lets us know the story. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---