Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Freezing when Publishing

Hi

New Xara user and was quite impressed with the Web Designer Premium and getting along great.

I have a web site with 25 pages a lot of images so it is quite large. Recently when trying to publish the updated version it freezes when it gets to 26%. Have also tried exporting the web site and the same thing freezes at 26%. Even if I try to preview the whole site same things freezes at 26%. Anyone had a similar problem.

I thought there might be some kind of repair I could run on the whole site but can't find anything along that lines. Any help appreciated as need to get changes up.

Cheers for any advice.

Chill from Perth

Default Re: Freezing when Publishing

Hi Chill

Couple of things spring to mind:

Are you running out of system ram?

Try running Xara as administrator - right click on the Xara icon and choose run as administrator.

Hope this helps until an expert comes along!

Hi Nobby

I have admin rights so nope that is not the problem. The RAM might be but I have cut the site down taking out pages that I have added in. Now before these pages went in it published without any problems. Now I can get up to 30% but that is my lot. Might try it on another machine at work that does have more RAM and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Chill

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Have you optimized your photos (Utilities > Optimize all Images). If you are using a lot of photos, and the resolution is a lot higher than necessary, this can eat up a lot of RAM. Optimizing your images creates more manageable images.

Post your xar/web file in DropBox and post the link here. Others can test it to see if they experience the same issue.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hmm,
    I have a good machine with enough RAM for hundreds of decompressed images, but I've seen Xara Web Preview freezing
    in any version since version 6 or 7... That may happen with extremely simple single-pagers already. I have long gotten
    used to this behaviour (I force close the Internet Explorer preview and simply hit Preview again – it usually works then).

Gary: I don't think that it is a good idea (or should be necessary) to optimize the images before export, as this is a lossy
    operation which limits design freedom – if one in the course of the design process decides to increase the size of images
    again one will end up with nasty pixelation.

With large files and loads of large images the Exporter should inform the user that the initial export might take a bit for
    resizing and compressing images. In all following exports the application should only process elements which have changed,
    pretty much the way it is also the case with actual publishing.

Yes have found this option and optimised the images. Did not make any difference. Apart from the image quality deteriorating a bit. But thanks for the reply.

Hi Hoja

I'm pretty sure that RAM is the problem. Tried it on another machine with more RAM and I got it uploaded.

Think I will split the site in to two or three separate ones and just link them. Hopefully my machine will be able to cope with the smaller versions.

Cheers for the comment.

Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Post your xar/web file in DropBox and post the link here. Others can test it to see if they experience the same issue.
    The site has photographs of photo shoots such as weddings etc so can't make them public. Otherwise I would do this as I would like to see how others got on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillPerth View Post
    I'm pretty sure that RAM is the problem. Tried it on another machine with more RAM and I got it uploaded.
    As said, it here happens also with single test files with close to zero content.
    The machine in question has 12 gigs of RAM and fast SSD's that should not be the bottleneck.