Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unhappy Re: Where is my lost Letter Kerning in Web Designer Pro 365?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Just a question as I do not do web-work with XDP.
    How does XDP--or other kerning-enabled Xara products--handle kerning as regards the CSS generated? Some browsers still do not support it, others require browser-specific prefixes for GPOS kerning (OpenType fonts and TrueTypes generated with OT GPOS/Features). And on some platforms/browser combinations, while supported, muck things up.
    So just curious as to how Xara products handle it in the CSS and, well, why kern for the web at this point?
    Xara relies heavily on it pixel-perfect positioning so if you add kerning between two characters in a word, the <span> for the word is split in twain.

I have kerned every character in the first word of this phrase:

<span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="top: -11.77px;">C</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 9.93px; top: -11.77px;">o</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 17.7px; top: -11.77px;">n</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 25.47px; top: -11.77px;">s</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 32.51px; top: -11.77px;">e</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 40.28px; top: -11.77px;">c</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 47.32px; top: -11.77px;">t</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 51.48px; top: -11.77px;">e</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 59.25px; top: -11.77px;">t</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 63.4px; top: -11.77px;">u</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_kern Normal_text" style="left: 71.17px; top: -11.77px;">r cillum lorem deserunt </span>
    No CSS is harmed in the making of this phrase,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Where is my lost Letter Kerning in Web Designer Pro 365?

Acron - Boy, these names . . . their marketing department needs to working on improving. Very confusing. Yeah, I had bought Xara's Web Designer 365 Premium, but just chipped in $49 bucks to 'downgrade' to Xara Web Designer Pro - as to to get the kern/track controls I desire. :-) Oh well .... so it goes!

Hey, thanks so much for all your help, man. Really appreciate it. I'd buy you a pint if I could.

Jeff

It is still css. But thanks for the code, such as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    It is still css. But thanks for the code, such as it is.
    Yes, totally agree it is CSS but no CSS is harmed in the making of this phrase just lots and lots and lots of prose. I was trying to point out it was simplistic but would work in all browsers.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat