Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Did I miss something ... ?

I purchased the annual license for Xara Web Designer 365 ... downloaded all the "widgets" to my computer ... but now, to use those widgets I downloaded, it's wanting me to sign in to Xara before it will allow me to use the already downloaded content.

Did I miss something? I was under the impression that Xara's intentions were above board. I was lead to believe that so long as I had downloaded the content to my computer before the end of the first year's subscription, it would be available and only new content would require an annual payment. I actually had set aside the payment for a license renewal, but all of a sudden it doesn't seem like a wise investment.

Guess I need to rethink the use of this software and begin searching for an alternative.

I really don't like it when folks get greedy.

Default Re: Did I miss something ... ?

Not sure what the answer is but when was the last time you used WebDesigner? I seem to remember hearing something about needing to connect once a month which is usually done if you are online and are using the product.

Monday, I did a second sample for a new customer. Yesterday he mentioned that he would like a "slideshow" (actually a slider) on the front page. I figured I would try to do a bit on the idea this morning before heading off to my day job ... and Xara asked me to log in because it had to connect in order to insert and edit the slider.

Last week I started developing an idea for a new customer, developing a sample to get an idea where he really wanted to go. You know, one of those vague "I need a new website" deals with next to zero information to start with other than the field they are in.

The week before that, I did a redesign of a few pages for another customer.

Etc., etc. etc.

While I haven't been going gangbusters on Xara, I have used it every week ... even if it's just to try to do something for future reference.

To download content from the Online (there's the clue) Content Catalog, you have to be online.

So if you are not online it Xara is going to ask you to connect.

What you do download should be available when you are off line in the Local Design Gallery.

This computer - every moment that it is running - is connected to the internet, unless for some reason my ISP is having issues.

In theory, that is how it is supposed to work. According to my conversations with a Xara rep before purchase, that is how it is supposed to work. In the past that is how it worked.

... I downloaded the content previously. ALL of the content. Downloaded it to my hard drive, including updates prior to this month. Don't know of any upgrades in September 2016.

Could there be a "shelf life" problem? In other words, if you haven't downloaded the entire catalog in X days it is no longer available to Xara?

Things are working now, but had to download it all again to get to that point.

2 reasons for downloading: First, in case I decide not to renew license I would like to have the content that came with the purchase available. Second, I don't want to wait for every item to download as I need it because it is much quicker to get the content from my hdd than from the internet.