Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: override Link Underline?

This is my point when I said it looks unstable.

You could do this with a simple mouse over instead of a pop up. I'm post in a minute or two.

Yeah, do it as a mouse off and mouse over. No need for a pop up layer.

The reason for the odd behavior is the default animation is set to Fade > Normal. Change this to Fast or Very Fast.

I have no idea why but the text even grouped acts like text that is not grouped and so shows up blue as linked. Convert the text to Editable Shapes and then it will not show the blue color.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 23 September 2016 at 03:04 PM.

I don't believe that Mouseover will do the trick as I would like to popup elements which don't overlap with the
    MouseOff-Layer object (which calls the Mouseover).

At any rate not using the Mouseover Layer and instead using a Popup Layer can't be responsible for this glitch.

The overall idea is getting an underscore at mouseover and having it stick when clicked.
    (> the website loads the linked page and has that entry selected).
    In case one mouseovers another element with an already established page highlight I found
    nice if the new mouseover muted the existing highlight.

It's just a test – I could also do without, but I believe this is unrelated to the flashing link.

Ok, in this version I got rid of all fancyness and just use the MouseOver Layer. I want to keep text
    as text and at the same time avoid default text link styling – hence the invisble link panels.
    Again (I think) I have done the same thing everywhere, but only the two buttons DE/EN do work.
    What's wrong with this file?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry, I have been out most of the morning. (We are volunteers).

See if the attached works for you. The rectangle that stretches should be the same color as the buttons but I made it darker so you can see it is separate.

Thanks for having a look again and no worries about delay – my evening yoga class fit in between nicely!

Now looking at your file I do acknowledge that this version you built from scratch does have all its buttons
    working while mine has just a fraction of them working. But what's the reason? You used a # instead of the
    full link to trigger the display of MouseOver content and you used soft grouping, which as I understand is a
    workflow aid but no prerequisite to have that Mouseover-Limbo working.

Then you grouped the link text with the rectangle, which results in bitmap export, which I want to avoid.
    I would actually like to understand what exactly is wrong with the file I had attached – as 2 of 5 similar
    buttons do work fine while the rest of them do not...

Yoga is good.

The # is good for testing links. It reloads the page and is quicker than a real URL. You can substitute actual URLs and everything should work fine.

If you have selectable text that is linked and you link it, it will show link colors unless you turn off the default link colors. And except for XTOMs script, you can either have underlined text or not. Not both.

Why is it important for the text on the buttons to be editable?

OK Here is a possible solution. http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/underscore/#

I have used the filename=image-name naming option to name the buttons DE and EN so the files in the index_files_html will show EN.png and DE.png

The buttons are bitmaps. I have no idea how I accomplished but I think the mouse off buttons are not linked but the mouse over buttons are linked and so you get your underscore and linking and search engine will get EN and DE.

That is the best I can do.

I shall now do some meditation and try to sort it all out.

Thanks again! I think there still a misunderstanding in the room :o)
    I already figured that having any text button export as text is actually quite simple. My sample files both used this technique
    That problem is solved.

Here's how: Write some text and put an invisible rectangle on top, which (instead of the text itself) carries the link.
    That way one can both avoid text "default link colours" and conversion to bitmap (for as long as one leaves items ungrouped).

My actual problem which made me send these sample files was:
    Why do two such buttons work in my file while three don't? I think they are set up identically...
    So one had to look into my file and analyze what's wrong here.

You asked for my reasons to avoid raster-text:
    Well, because one can... :o) Raster text will render less crisp, in particular on such fine fonts. I even use a script which might scale the
    page up in some cases, possibly resulting in more blurriness. Text is also a bit smaller and having these keywords appear on dozens of pages
    sure doesn't hurt when Bots try to figure out what this content is about. I see a general tendency in recent years to avoid raster graphics
    where possible, many websites load vector icons from external libraries and Xara as a vector editor sure also could do better in that respect.

Try either removing the link-bg-EN and link-bg-DE objects or to assign a show pop-up layer mouse over effect to both of them.
    link-bg-DE has one link-bg-EN doesn't.