Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem Getting Link Colors to Work Correctly

I am working on a responsive website and having issues with my links. I have set the link colors in Utilities Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	114322
    However, some of the links do not show the colors set up. When I rollover the links they do not change colors. The links themselves work, just the colors won't change to the color they are supposed to be. This is happening on the library page: http://www.thesiteseeker.com/gfc/library.htm and the Community Resources page: http://www.thesiteseeker.com/gfc/database.htm

I am hoping someone can help me with this. The other links in the site are working fine. Any clues?
    Thank you.

Website110415WithMobileVariant.xar

Default Re: Problem Getting Link Colors to Work Correctly

Of course, when I finally get frustrated enough to post here, I happen upon the solution! I did not have the box in the Link Properties dialog checked that says, "Use Common Website Link Colors".

So here is the resolution in case anyone else needs it.

Does this now work with all the links on your site?

When I checked out your file some of the links previewed fine in mouse over state and other did not.

Yes, a lot of them need to be reasigned. Possibly an issue with not having "Use Common Website Link Colors" checked earlier.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Just checked a few of the links in the green rectangle and you're right Egg. I changed the URL for the first link in the green box to the none then back to the original link and then it worked with the same colors as the other links. Odd that!

I have been having a similar problem with my web site over the last year. I first noticed it under designer X11 and I am still getting it under X12. What I have found is that if you reload the site it will sometimes correct the color problems.

I just added a couple of new pages to my site and I am having all kinds of trouble with the link colors. One of the things I noticed is that in Explorer it will show more of the links with the link colors but when in FireFox will not show as many of the links with the link colors. Another thing is I have links to view PDF files and a lot of them are not working in FireFox but in Explore they are.

If I find out anything I will post.

Update-

What I have found is that the links that I am looking at on the site is turning dark because I have already visited that link previously. so I am not seeing the new link colors. That is why Explorer was working better than Firfox, because I use Firefox as my default.

Now if I can just get the PDF links to work right.

Ray
    Last edited by RKissane; 22 September 2016 at 06:27 PM.

Ray - Are you linking to the PDF via the Link > Link to File (PDF, etc.)?

This places a copy of the document in the index_htm_files folder.

The other way of doing this is to upload the PDF via FTP to the root directory on your web server and then link to the physical address mysite.com/myfile.pdf

Another thing that can cause problems with some servers is upper and lower case. With some servers if your file name is MyFile.PDF and the file name changes on export to lowercase myfile.pdf the file won't be found. Probably best to make your file names lowercase to be on the safe side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	114348  

Gary,

I upload the file to a seperate director on the server and link to this address.

To get the PDF links working for the ones that were broken was to delete the link and then to redo the link. I don't know why this happens every once in awhile but I have had it happen in the past. The only way I have found to restore the broken links is to delete them and then redo. Usually when this happens it only a few so it is no big deal to fix.

Thanks
    Ray