Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Feathering effect disappears after Slicing a Shape

Using latest version of Xara Designer Pro X, the feathering effect is removed after slicing an object or group of objects. This doesn't happen in my previous version (version8).

To clarify: I create an object and apply the feathering effect to the object. I then draw a line through the object where I want it to be sliced/cropped. With both the line and the object selected I engage the "Slice (Cut) Shapes" command (Ctrl+4). The shape is successfully sliced but the feathering effect disappears.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Default Re: Feathering effect disappears after Slicing a Shape

I get the same result. Feathering is retained in object sliced using DPX 11 and lost in current version.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can confirm this also. I'll pass this along to Xara support
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you Julia and Angelize for your response. I'm glad it's not just me experiencing the issue. Hopefully it can be easily fixed, and before too long.

I don't often slice feathered objects by themselves, but it is common practice for me to do an illustration that may incorporate a number of feathered objects, and when the drawing is finished I will group the entire picture and use the slice feature to crop it. All feathered objects in the illustration return to their normal edge status. Had to go back to version 8 to crop my latest picture.

In the meantime instead of slicing to crop try using a clipview. Group your drawing then place a rectangle(or other clipping object) of the desired size behind it, marquee select (click and drag) both the drawing and the rectangle and hit Q on your keyboard.

If the clipping object shows beyond the drawing and you don't want it to show right click your clipped group, select clipping shape from the context menu and click the cross hatch icon on the colour line to remove the colour of the clipping shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clipview.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	114304  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Good tip and well illustrated Frances.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks again Angelize for suggestion, and for taking the time to attach the demo. Very much appreciated.

I have never used Clipview before. I just tried it and it has its merits. Just a bit concerned that it only hides the objects beyond the designated area - I'm having thoughts of the objects reappearing if transferred to the web or to PDF or some platform that can't read this function?

Anyway, Xara support tells me they are aware of the feathering issue and are on to it.

Yes I heard back from Xara support too, same message

I have used clipview in this manner quite often and it exports to PDF fine for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]