Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default questions on Xara Slideshow widget

I have just purchased Designer ProX and play around with the Xara Slideshow widget. While it's easy to set up a few things are puzzling me:

1) Where do my published images go? They don't appear inside my local resources folder...
    I want have control about the hosting locations of my intellectual property. Moving my assets to some british servers (without even asking!) is not in order.

2) It seems that the Slideshow Widget runs within your Online-Content delivery system.
    Does that mean that one loses the abiltity to edit existing slideshows as soon as one doesn't renew the license?

Default Re: questions on Xara Slideshow widget

Your IP is abstracted away into https://cdn.xara-online.com/siba/slideshow/.
    The widget also uses https://widgets.xara-online.com/slider/js/mxslider.js.

Don't get too hung up over where it is hosted, you are getting a free service.
    As far as I can determine, the editing of the widget also allows the creation of a new site so I would suggest you will lose access.
    The other hint is you have to log into the widget when creating a new slideshow.

The EULA states
    6. Rights of use
    Xara stores the content for the customer and solely grants access to it. The customer alone shall decide which of this content he or she has saved on the Xara servers will be publicly accessible or accessible or to specifically selected users. The customer grants Xara any rights to the content insofar as these are necessary for the correct fulfillment of the respective Services.
    At this point I bought WOWSlider.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Yeah, I've discovered this in the meantime.

Don't get too hung up over where it is hosted, you are getting a free service.
    Sorry, not interested at all.
    GB soon will no longer be in the EU and I simply want to have my projects hosted at a service where my local IP law applies.
    What's certainly unacceptable is that Xara simply hijacks your data without the slightest hint beforehand!

The Xara Slideshow Widget btw again strips out existing file names (like Highslide did). This is just so silly...
    Do programmers assume that we're only uploading holiday pictures? People with business interest badly need telling image names for their stuff.

As far as I can determine, the editing of the widget also allows the creation of a new site so I would suggest you will lose access.
    The other hint is you have to log into the widget when creating a new slideshow.

The EULA states
    6. Rights of use
    Xara stores the content for the customer and solely grants access to it. The customer alone shall decide which of this content he or she has saved on the Xara servers will be publicly accessible or accessible or to specifically selected users. The customer grants Xara any rights to the content insofar as these are necessary for the correct fulfillment of the respective Services.
    Completely unacceptable!

Yup, I will have to look for another solution too.

I'm currently looking into WOWslider. The program doesn't assign new file-names but keeps the existing ones, nice!
    And they have a 50% discount this month...

Acorn – may I ask how you deal with website variants and WS? You probably don't export separate Slideshows for all
    screen dimensions, right? What is the best way to "shoehorn" to a smaller variant a full width slideshow which was originally
    created for larger screens?

WOWslider says "If you want the slider to be responsive you should define the div container width in %."
    The div container is probably the placeholder – what would be the appropriate code string here?

Quote Originally Posted by hoja View Post
    Acorn – may I ask how you deal with website variants and WS? You probably don't export separate Slideshows for all
    screen dimensions, right? What is the best way to "shoehorn" to a smaller variant a full width slideshow which was originally
    created for larger screens?
    WOWslider says "If you want the slider to be responsive you should define the div container width in %."
    The div container is probably the placeholder – what would be the appropriate code string here?
    I don't use sliders in smaller Variants, I find that too intrusive. If I did, I would design for that size and use a very simple container.
    I link to the images used in WOWSlider, as they are already loaded so I don't have additional downloads.
    Between the DIV tags, I would add width=100%; you probably don't even need a width setting as the Placeholder width is already fixed.
    Code:
    <!-- Start WOWSlider.com BODY section --><div id="wowslider-container1" width=100%>
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Between the DIV tags, I would add width=100%
    Hmm, this one seems not to work...
    The slideshow appears unaltered in size and gets clipped away when making the Browser more narrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-07_14h25_27.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	114168

I don't use sliders in smaller Variants, I find that too intrusive.
    I see your point. What I like is that WS gives easy access to swiping, which usually doesn't work in
    conventional Xara sites. As images are my most important content I'd like to try this out.

Hi all

I too have purchased WOW slider following some good feedback on the forum, but like hoja even though I am using the slide size width option set to full width (and looks correct in the WOW slider preview page) when I preview my Xara page it is the same width as the placeholder. I have tried adding the code, width=100% to the placeholder body code, with no success.

Any thoughts please?

Why not publish the wow-slider and load it into an iframe. This works for me:

<iframe src=wowslider-640x480.html width=640 height=480 scrolling=no frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></iframe>
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg - many thanks for the quick response.

I am new to using Iframes, so please be gentle with me! LOL

If I use the code you supplied the slider is 640x480, so to get full width I changed the width to 100% this works to a degree, when you reduce the width of the page at a point the slider seems to stop shrinking and appears to be left justified with a white border at the right and a grey box appears under it - any thoughts please

Hi nobbyy, if I remember correctly WOW slider uses a predefined slider size which you can customise when producing your slider. I don't think you can shrink the slider after production. So if you want to use a smaller size, your better off creating a seperate slider at that required size. I tend to use the pixel size for the width as I know what this is when creating the slider, so why then change this to 100% and try reducing it?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host