Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Problem with ClipView and lines

Thank you for this workaround.
    Unfortunately it doesn't quite work for me, because I use quite a complex drawing (a character) as a clipping shape, and I try to overlay some color on it.
    So what I do is I try to put a big colored rectangle with one of a blending mode and clip it using my character as a clipping shape.
    And what happens is all the lines within the character are excluded from the clipping, which makes the whole thing useless.
    I was trying to apply a contour to the character, or an empty live effect, hoping it would somehow group everything into one non-breakable shape, but unfortunately it doesn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    aand on that basis you don't need to do the full routine I outlined in post #5

just cloning your outlined shape and converting the clone to shape with 'convert line to shape' and grouping should do it:

Attachment 114109

Attachment 114110

[apologies for three posts in a row ]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip2net_160904112526.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	114123

even with a work around for the clipping you may not get what you want if the outlines are black, the blending modes you can use that work on black are limited

if you recolour your outlines it may work

when I do this sort of work I always have my outlines as seperate art [on another layer, though that is just preference, not necessary] so that they are easier to recolour - and soft grouped with the coloured art
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 September 2016 at 05:37 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

just had a quick look again at the method [in conjunction with wjhat Mike said]

if you:

1 clone your vector art figure
    2 if it is a group, ungroup and combine the objects
    3 convert line to shape
    4 break shapes and then combine them all
    5 put this to the back and use it as the clip for your art and the blending rectangle

it may do what you want... with your coloured lines

you might want to put the clone on a new layer and hide your art whilst you are doing steps 2-4, and then paste it back in place on the original layer for step 5 [at least until you are happy with the methodology]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nothing lasts forever...

This thread appears to me that the OP isn't explaining his issue to the forum, perhaps an attached .xar/.web file from the OP would help?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I believe you guys understood the main problem... here's a xar file, just in case.
    clipviewbug.xar
    I mean, of course I could totally rework the graphics and get rid of all lines, which would work but it'd make it all very inconvenient in terms of time spent and the fact that the graphics becomes quite ineditable after that.
    I hoped that maybe somebody ever used a simpler workaround, I don't know, grouping the objects in a peculiar way to trick the rendering engine, or something.
    Anyway, I do believe it can qualify if not as a bug but as weird behavior, so reported in to the support.
    Thank you guys for your help!

ok I did your character the way I suggested, it's quick once you get the hang of it, but if there are lots to do its a pain

clipviewbug-oneway.xar

next time I'm on the win7 computer with the old versions I'll check - but i think it has been this way for a long time....

ah - just noticed it's lost the shadow...humm... that's probably beacuse of the way convert to shapes/break shapes works....
    Nothing lasts forever...

that can be fixed - and actually it is simpler in a way because it does not involve covert to shape/break

clip your drawing and the blend rectangle with a rectangle that is 100% transparent and then clip it again with a clone of the drawing [no need to alter this]

Attached Files Attached Files
    Nothing lasts forever...