Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Difficulty selecting text

Well between all us old folk, we have cleared up the issue.

The question is, how did things go so far off the rails? Was the text imported from a PDF?

Egg - I am not sure what you are referring to. I found three sets of body copy, two overlapping on the page and one floating well above the page on the pasteboard. But I did not have any problems selecting the text, or double, triple, or quadruple clicking to select a word, line, or entire paragraph. Near as I can tell, the text was in one text area. Ctrl A selected the entire block of copy.

Here's a logo version. No drop shadow like the original has--but it shouldn't had it especially at the size it is.

This logo will work at the size of the on in the .web file, which is about the same size as on the present web site for the organization. If it was to be used in a larger size much larger than perhaps double the size, the drawing should be worked on.

As well, the font is different, though close and likely fine at this size. I couldn't identify the font from the present logo with the drop shadow and crude from the scan.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Garys file still has each word in individual spans.
    I've cleaned the text up here so it doesn't have individual spans for each word, just each line of text.
    The reason the words have individual SPANs is the block of text is fully justified. This is normal and nothing about it is wrong. Setting the text to left, centred or right justified allows lines to be in SPANs as all the glyphs are calculated from a datum point so positioning is fully calculated by the browser rendering engine. Xara gets itself into this "problem" as it attempts to apply WYSIWYG to text paragraphs, causing all this fragmentation for full justification and the breaking up of URLs across words and line breaks.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn - That was my thinking but just before I fell into a deep sleep, there was something in Egg's epic video that implied after applying a Normal Text style to the text that it became blocks of text, though upon awakening and trying this for myself, it still appeared to be as before.

That said, is brocsman is still here and has not run screaming into the night, if you take the text tool and highlight the text in your first button, and change the color the text color will change on all of the buttons.

Thanks for the clarification Acorn I never use justified text. This explains why changing the text to Normal Text removes this issue as it's left aligned text.
    Egg

Thanks guys. I know it's a complete mess. I've never used a tool like this before, and I must find time to watch some tutorials. I shall work through your files, comments and advice, and I'll try not to come back until I know a bit more about what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

Hope we were helpful. We all have done similar things and worse. Much worse. It is like learning a new language. You will learn. And we are always here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by brocsman View Post
    ...and I'll try not to come back until I know a bit more about what I'm doing.
    No worries! Do come back if there are any questions at all. There's good people that have, and can, give great advice on the web stuff (not me. I'm just a graphics junkie).