Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Any news on the development end?

It's been some time since the release of the 365 version(s)

Might I ask if the 365 update service is just an hoax or will there be (real)new features added during this 365 update service?
    I for one like to know what's up ahead in the development or is it going to be (only)more content added to the content-library?

I think as a client which opted for this license , I'm entitled to know if you're putting your money where your mouth is!

Hans

Default Re: Any news on the development end?

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post

Might I ask if the 365 update service is just an hoax or will there be (real)new features added during this 365 update service?
    I for one like to know what's up ahead in the development or is it going to be (only)more content added to the content-library?

I think as a client which opted for this license , I'm entitled to know if you're putting your money where your mouth is!

Hans
    As I understand it, Xara actually has a different view. You paid for the upgrade you already received. Xara tells us that the update service is a bonus: "... under our new Update Service we'll continue to release new features throughout the year at no further cost, so you no longer have to wait till next year for the updates we're working on now!" This means that you get to use all the new goodies released throughout the coming year but will have to pay for them after the year is over before you can own them.

I'm not sure if this scheme will be successful but I take the attitude "wait and see". In the past I used to get new-feature fever towards the summer (I use XDP X) but now I expect to suffer from irregular bouts of heightened anticipation (from which you seem to suffer right now ) throughout the year. So, I hope they'll feed us a steady stream of exciting updates to satisfy a deepening addiction ....

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm just guessing here but I think that Xara will likely be as tight lipped as before about what they may be working on. Probably the only thing that will change is that when they have a new feature ready they will release it right away instead of waiting for the next year's release. So we will all just have to wait and see
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

We know that many of you find it frustrating that you have to wait a whole year for our next update - knowing that we are working on (and have likely finished) new cutting edge features and on-trend content. We have the answer! For the first time you’ll have access to new features and content as we develop them, at any time during the 365 days after you purchase. You'll be able to download and use these new features, for no extra charge, in addition to the version that you buy today.
    We promise to continue optimizing and developing software which includes the Update Service. We will regularly publish new features and templates throughout the year
    Just some bold statements from xara on their site so I must been reading something else then you.

I know Xara is always silent about their development.
    The new updateservice must mean something for the customers and I think we're entitled to know what's going on.
    They changed the license type so we should receive more answers, not only in action but also in words.
    Otherwise it's just a marketingtool and we don't get anything in return,besides patches,which we did get in the old license type.

Other software builders are changing their behaviour towards their customers, beta testing, feature request responding.

Please do not point out that they're a small business with a small staff that can't answer questions or respond to possible or impossible requests.
    Xara is the one that made the statements above to develop faster,
    I think I have a valid question that I like to have answered.

Hans

To bad nobody from xara is responding(what's new).

In the now 24/7 economy people have gained more acces to other options and are less loyal to their current suppliers.
    By this I mean;
    There are more great programs available and even open source that are surpassing xara in many fields.
    They are more in touch with their customers , this creates buzz and makes them accessible , more liked and is good advertising
    And most of all customers feel they're taken seriously.

So a more open business model would be something xara could gain from.
    The way xara approaches current clients , or the lack thereof , is not professional , condescending and not in the last place very bad advertising.

Hans

Hans, they are who they are. Xara may change the delivery mechanism, but that doesn't change years of not revealing when/what of an update.

It would be nice if there was a public road-map like other companies do. It would even be nice if Xara responded to feature requests and mentioned whether they were on an internal road-map like yet other companies.

What usually doesn't work is to attempt to shame a company into change. Quark is one example. For years they dictated what was going to be in a new version without ever letting their customers know in advance. Heck, half the time one found out about updates via 3rd-parties. It took a management change to rebuild Quark from the top down. They are now quite responsive to their customers. But there were decades of silence and little advancement in the application itself.

My two-cents.

Some time I use render SimLab. It's small company too.
    Within a year, they develop additional features for the current version. Announces it on the forum and create training films for the new features. These updates are not small and based on user feedbacks. Absolute respect!
    At this time, Xara users are frozen in nervous expectation.

My one cent.