Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I ‘jump’ to point within a page?

With a long page I want people to be able to click on a phrase and be taken to a point further down the page. Something like ‘Click here to further information’ which would take them much further down a page to more text. Would I use anchors or names? Can I put in a symbol or a picture further down and set up a ‘jump’ to that point?

Default Re: Can I ‘jump’ to point within a page?

Yup, just add a name to the object you want to jump to, then on the link select the name under the "Link to anchor" option.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Yup, just add a name to the object you want to jump to, then on the link select the name under the "Link to anchor" option.
    Ah yes, I thought anchors and names were completely different things, but they not. Thanks.

This same issue is still not working for me...

I have a block of text on my FAQ page, all in a single text box, like:

"FAQ:

1. How do I A?
    Answer...

2. How do I B?
    Answer..."

etc

I selected the text "1. How do I A?" and created an anchor called "faq1," selected "2. How do I B?" and created an anchor called faq2, etc.

Then, on my home page, I say "Want to know how to do A? Click here," "Want to know how to B? Click here," and I linked to the appropriate FAQ anchor, hoping the viewer would be redirected to the exact spot on my FAQ page where that question is answered.

But, every link just goes to the top of the FAQ page, not to the specific text (faq) I used to create the anchor.

Can you not link to specific text within a single text box?

I'm afraid I may have to make each faq a separate text box and recreate all my anchors, but I don't want to go to all that trouble (I have a LOT of faqs) if that's not the problem, or if that still won't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to TalkGraphics sharkfinsoup

How deep is the block of text? If you have a paragraph that just extends beyond the screen bottom then Anchors don't help much.

It should work, so you might want to post your file for someone to look at.

The block of text is pretty huge, it scrolls well below the bottom of the screen - it is several screens long actually.

Sorry, I don't know which file to post... (newb)

Save your document as Web Designer Premium (*.web)

If it is just one page in a larger site then right click on the page and select Copy Page. Then open a new document and Paste > Paste Page.

Name and save that page and upload here. (to upload, click Go Advanced then scroll down to Manage Attachments, click that option and browse to the file. Click Open. Then in my browser I have to widen the window) click Upload and once the file shows, click Close Window.

Open the attached and preview.

I have placed a transparent rectangle over Answers 5-8 and named each rectangle using the Names yellow tag icon.

5 and 6 link perfectly, 7 and 8 not because we have reached the end of the document.

The rectangle or graphic (see Answer 4) can be to the left of the text and you can also soft group the rectangle or graphic to the text.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfinsoup View Post
    I may have to make each faq a separate text box and recreate all my anchors, but I don't want to go to all that trouble (I have a LOT of faqs) if that's not the problem, or if that still won't work.

Any ideas?
    You have to do what you have to do - it's not about how much hassle something is.

When you plan on doing something and are not sure if that plan will work or not, make a new empty document, and make a smaller test version to try out the theory.

If you have big slabs of text, it's usually not a great experience for the site visitor so this little problem may be a good thing - it may improve the presentation.