Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Zoomable image on webpage

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I'm sorry Acorn, I wasn't making myself clear. I know how to do it, WHY am I doing it is the part of the operation I don't understand.
    Egg, the why is to magnify the image at present (768) is the width of the presented image so hardly any scaling if the rollover was 512 px wide (x1.5 magnification).
    Setting to 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192 are all power of two values so if your rollover image was 512 px wide, you would have magnifications of x2, x4, x8 or x16 times.
    Clearly you need a very high resolution image to show off.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah! Thanks Acorn, now that makes sense.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Especially true in terms of print.
    True, but on terms of websites the resolution is meaningless. Even 96dpi is meaningless, it's just the pixel width & pixel height that matter.

Exporting a site with retina images ticked doesn't make a 96dpi and a 192dpi it just creates a retina image (@2) twice as wide and twice as high in pixel sizes.

So if you want to get a good quality stretchy image, use a large an image as possible pixel wise. But eventually if the size of the image is less than the browser pixel width the image will degrade as it's streched.

You and Mike Wenzloff can debate pixels and resolution til the cows come home and that is fine with me. Images stretched to fill the screen should have a higher resolution.
    Hey, lighten up Gary, I'm only doing my best to help. Don't know where Mike comes into this, he hasn't even posted in this thread. I reiterate, to get a 'higher resolution' just increase the images pixel size.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg - I am not trying to be more argumentative than usual. http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/stretch/ What I am showing here is the image I posted was originally created for a newspaper banner image, the paper is 11" wide and the image was printed at 300ppi. I think you would agree that the image when copied and pasted into Xara shows a resolution of 1296dpi, at 1:1 the image is about 4050 pixels wide. More than adequate to meet your suggestion of using as large an image as possible. But if you look at the actual stretched image and compare to the image below with is not stretched, just extended to about 1900 pixels wide, the stretched image is not near as sharp and clean.

Hi Gary, could you post your original image (or dropbox it)?
    Egg

Think this was the one. Shows as 10,798 x 3070
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know if this will make sense either Gary but I hope so. I'm just trying to prove dpi means nothing on websites, only pixel size:

http://www.parkeston.com/gary-sunset/garys-sunset.htm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2m67ewyn19...unset.xar?dl=0
    Egg

I am not arguing with you Egg. I accept actual pixel width at 1:1. All I am trying to say is the image quality for a stretched image is not very good. Maybe it has to do with the amount of compression, and the image should not be exported as a PNG, that is nuts.

My sincere apologies to ForrestHowie for hijacking your thread. We should have started a new thread instead of taking over this thread.

Have we helped you at all?

Fine by me Gary
    Egg

Here is another aproach using a slider for the zoom factor. A litte jerky and a lot potential for optimization.
    I put a large image (from wikimedia) on an invisible layer and forced Xara to export it by adding a ! to the layer name.
    The image, the slider and the track for the slider each have a name that defines the ID for the exported HTML.
    These names are listed in the placeholder (which is used as a viewport) HTML code body. (The order is important!)
    See example here.
    Attached Files Attached Files