Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default .PSD output seems buggy (doesn't work with apps other than Photoshop)

Hi,

If I export a .PSD file from DP365, it can be opened in Photoshop, but it doesn't work in other apps that also handle .PSD files (e.g. XnView, Sony Vegas, Newblue Titler).
    A workaround I found was to open the DP365 .PSD file first in Photoshop, than simply save over the original file, and after that it can be opened/imported into the mentioned apps.
    This is a DP365 shortcoming, since you need to have Photoshop to handle .PSD file compatibility. In my case, I would like to stop paying Photoshop subscription, but this shortcoming isn't collaborating for that!
    I recorded my screen showing the issue in detail: https://goo.gl/65cu0M
    Does it happen with someone else?

Thanks,
    Cadu_

Default Re: .PSD output seems buggy (doesn't work with apps other than Photoshop)

I believe Xara's intention was to maintain continuity with Photoshop's layers in and out of Photoshop. What specifically are you trying to accomplish with PSD export?

Default Re: .PSD output seems buggy (doesn't work with apps other than Photoshop)

Hi gwpriester.
    I'm creating graphics for video in DP.
    Sony Vegas handles native .PSD files quite well.
    Actually, I can even create .PSD files in Corel Paintshop Pro and Sony Vegas handles the .PSD from Paintshop.
    Also, Paintshop's .PSD are previewed by XnView.
    What I mean is that all the apps I mentioned can handle .PSD generated by other sources than Photoshop itself.
    Since, Xara advertises great .PSD support/compatibility, I was expecting to incorporate in my overall image workflows the .PSD files generated by DP365.
    Unfortunately, in all my tests, DP365 .PSD files are just working with Photoshop. All the other apps I tried can't read DP .PSD, even Faststone can't do that (snapshot: http://i.imgur.com/vqpcA2J.png).
    It sounds that DP365 .PSD files are buggy.

Hmm. The PSD export from XDP opens fine in everything I have tried it in from other image applications to vector editing applications to layout applications.

The reason why XnView and even Windows Explorer cannot see previews is the preview is written as a blank white image when using export as Layers. If I recall, if all objects are written as individual layers, the preview works. Could be wrong as this is the very first time I have done a PSD export from XDP ever.

So, buggy? Don't think so.