Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Banner Graphics

Default Banner Graphics

Just started to do graphics and need to make a banner sized 6ft x 4ft resolution 300dpi and final artwork should be no less than 150 dpi and used a CMYK profile instead of RBG. anyone know the settings for the graphics that need to be used?

thanks for the help!

Default Re: Banner Graphics

What application are you using?

When you say it needs to be both 300 and 150 dpi, what do you mean? In general, final resolution for large format printing only needs to be 150 dpi. But even so, this applies to non-vector elements (so drop shadows and other bitmap effects images, etc).

Mike

I am using photoshop. The final dpi needs to be between 300-150. ( sorry I am new to this )

No worries!

If using Photoshop, you can do this at 100% size. But it might be painful, depending upon the specs of your computer. If you have not already communicated with the print establishment, do so and have them clarify the DPI requirements. Some large or grand format printers will want 150 dpi at 100% scale. But some will allow higher depending upon viewing distance.

The "proper" DPI to set up the file with depends what the anticipated average viewing distance is. As well as whether you can do a full-size layout in the first place. So will the average person viewing this be 4 feet away? 6,8,10 feet away? That can affect what a good resolution to use is.

If the file needs to be scaled down to make it, then you need to double the DPI. That way when it is scaled up it will come out at half the DPI of the file.

And you'll be exporting as a PDF--because an image will be too large otherwise.

Also, while I have composited banners in PS years ago (like the late 1980s / early 1990s), it was because of the size limitations of Illustrator and other vector software. These days, though, and especially at the dimensions of your job, I would use Illy, CorelDraw, or Xara Designer Pro. The vector aspects of the job will look much better in print.

Mike

Thanks.