Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Vignette effect

Default Vignette effect

Hi,

I would appreciate help to achieve vignette effect as the one showed for Photoshop:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FgsOgrhYDc

Thanks!
    Cadu_

Default Re: Vignette effect

While I can make a vignette in XDP, the blur will only be a mild transition (short distance). So I use an image editor.

I use PhotoLine for my main bitmap editor. But even with vignettes, I will sometime use a plug-in to achieve a far better (to me) look than one can easily do in Photoshop. That video was painful to watch.

I do not believe one can do everything--even in an application that is trying to be all things to all men. PhotoLine is a relatively inexpensive image editor that is very capable. Other than the 3D stuff (etc.) that's been added to Photoshop over the past couple years, it is on par with Photoshop. Oh, one other exception is duotone images.

Mike

Much easier in Xara.

Select the image.

Apply a Flat, Elliptical transparency

Add a Profile 2 profile to extend the edges of the vignette.

In the time it talks for Photoshop to open, you're done!

Or

Place an ellipse over the photo

Select both ellipse and photo

Arrange > Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes

Apply Feathering

Apply Profile 2 profile to smooth the edge of the vignette
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vignette.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	113604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vignette 2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	113605  

Last edited by gwpriester; 24 July 2016 at 01:25 AM.

To have a black (or whatever color) background behind the image instead of fading the image to white...add a colored rectangle of sufficient size and send it to the back.

And it takes seconds to do in PL using the method of the clunky video. PL also starts faster than XDP 365 .

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

A very quick and easy way I like to create a vignette is to simply clone the photo (ctrl+K) and give the cloned photo an elliptical transparency using the multiply blending mode. This gives you a very highly editable vignette. you can add stops to the transparency to give very exact control of the vignette and you can just click and drag the centre node of the transparency to place the centre of the vignette exactly where you want it. want a different coloured vignette? just use the photo hue tool, want a solid colour vignette? just change the fill on the clone from bitmap to flat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for all the replies. I've learned a lot in talkgraphics!