Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: XDP365 isn't showing image DPI accurately as Photoshop does.

Yep, YouTube is fine.

We are, as mentioned, having different results importing at the dpi specified in the file. Why that is...who knows.

I can't without allowing youtube through the browser js blocking which i can't be bothered to do [because it has implications]... but I am sure it is a great video Egg, yours usually are.. maybe when I am on the other computer....
    Last edited by handrawn; 09 July 2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: did I mention I was going to the optician's tomorrow... I do beleive I did
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Why that is...who knows.
    Not me Mike!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,
    Thanks all of you for assistance and tests!
    By using file>importing (ctl+alt+I) in a blank document the file was showed in XDP365 bitmap galery as 300dpi.
    However, if I am using "blank photo" the file>importing will generate an 96 dpi image.
    My screen-recording shows that: https://goo.gl/EJ7Y1D
    In the practical case, I had to send someone an image having 300 dpi, but I've found XDP a bit trick handling dpi, so at the end I manipulated the image in Photoshop.
    Best,
    Carlos_

Hi Carlos,

I understand but if you go to Options / View /Help it clearly states:

Note that the above import options do not apply to photo documents. Photos are always imported/opened at their full size in photo documents.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Carlos

ah yes - you have reminded me of one of the reasons I rarely use 'blank-photo' documents - this was the same in ver 11 at least if not before

I believe it 'optomises for the web' when you do that; there may be a way of preventing that, but I always use a normal pastebord document
    Nothing lasts forever...

well egg, that's another way of looking at it... certainly if you then wanted to export it at 300dpi, you'd need to resize it back down 96:300, ie 32%, because if you tried to export this from what xara calls 'full size' at 300dpi, you get a much bigger pixel size image 6250 x 4563 pixels

is there any actual advantage to using blank photo mode that makes using it worth that sort of hassle? - outside of website building....
    Nothing lasts forever...

well egg, that's another way of looking at it...
    No, I'm just stating a fact. Blank photos are imported at their pixel dimensions, not their dpi.

It's this dpi setting that's causing the confusion. The only important issue is the pixel width & height of the image.
    Egg

No, I'm just stating a fact. Blank photos are imported at their pixel dimensions, not their dpi
    what you have said there is not quite what the xara help says is it? maybe it would be even more helpful if it did; emphasisng that this means retagging at 96dpi

when I said another way of looking at it I meant as opposed to 'optimising', it is a form of optimising; still haven't found out what advantages this mode actually has...

The only important issue is the pixel width & height of the image
    sure, when you are determining the absolute size of a bitmap image...
    Nothing lasts forever...

what you have said there is not quite what the xara help says is it?
    You must have a different help file than mine then HD. I just copied & pasted it direct from the help file.

I believe it 'optomises for the web' when you do that; there may be a way of preventing that, but I always use a normal pastebord document
    No it doesn't, it just open the photo at it's true pixel dimensions. If you wanted to optomise for the web you'd be using a web document, not a photo document.

if you tried to export this from what xara calls 'full size' at 300dpi, you get a much bigger pixel size image 6250 x 4563 pixels
    Why export at 300dpi. The photo document opens at full size, edit it and re-save.
    Egg