Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Points keep showing in MY Xara

In "Options" we have choices in the various tabs to choose whether we want "inches", "pixels", "points", etc.

I've been having a problem with points showing up in my "x" and "y" coordinates even though I have everything in "Options" set to "inches". I've changed the settings in "Options" numerous times, but the coordinates still read "points" instead of "inches".

Sometimes when I go into "Options" to double check the settings, I'll find that the program has changed my "Nudge" size to "mp", which I assume is mega pixels AND it does the same thing with my 'x' and 'y' "Duplication" distances.

At first, I thought this was a problem with the new Version 12 of Xara, BUT, when I went into several previous versions of Xara, the same problem occurred. Now, I had never, to my awareness, had experienced this problem with the previous versions in the past. So, my thinking is it's not a problem with Xara at all, but either a virus or a problem with my hardware.

Now, I first assumed a virus was the problem. So I had a technician reinstall Windows 10 for me. Everything works great, EXCEPT the problem within Xara regarding the "points" issue still remains. So now I'm thinking it must be a hardware problem, i.e. the math co-processor? I don't know. I no nothing about computers or software.

Hence, I don't know what to do at this point. Windows says all my "drivers" are up to date.

Can anyone offer help/suggestions?

Regards,
    ron
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Points keep showing in MY Xara

Hi Ron, I can't replicate that. If I set units to inches they all report inches in the X, Y, W & H fields.

Have you tried right clicking the program icon & "Run as Administrator"? (I'm beginning to sound like an old scrathed 33rpm LP re this issue, it's becoming my default answer )
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ron, for Xara Designer Pro X11, go to File > Page Options > Units.
    Set Page to Inches.
    Click Apply.

For File > Page Options > Grid and Ruler, type in 1in for the Major spacing.
    Click Apply.

Back on the page, create a rectangle and press Ctrl+L to see the Ruler.

If everything is in Inches save the page.
    Close the file.

Open the file,
    Is everything still in Inches?

Close the file.
    Use File > New for a file template you typically use.
    Check its measurements.
    These are probably in pixels for Web, inches for US pages and Centimeters for A-size pages.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Ron, I can't replicate that. If I set units to inches they all report inches in the X, Y, W & H fields.

Have you tried right clicking the program icon & "Run as Administrator"? (I'm beginning to sound like an old scrathed 33rpm LP re this issue, it's becoming my default answer )
    Thanks Eric!
    I tried it, but it still does the same thing.

ron

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ron, for Xara Designer Pro X11, go to File > Page Options > Units.
    Set Page to Inches.
    Click Apply.

For File > Page Options > Grid and Ruler, type in 1in for the Major spacing.
    Click Apply.

Back on the page, create a rectangle and press Ctrl+L to see the Ruler.

If everything is in Inches save the page.
    Close the file.

Open the file,
    Is everything still in Inches?

Close the file.
    Use File > New for a file template you typically use.
    Check its measurements.
    These are probably in pixels for Web, inches for US pages and Centimeters for A-size pages.

Acorn
    I'll give it a try Acorn.

Ok, with a blank letter size page, I set the Units to inches. I hit apply. Everything remained measuring as Points.

I went into Options again, set the Grid and Ruler to 1in with 16 divisions. I hit apply, OK. I drew a rectangle and it measured in Points value in the x and y coordinates and in the rectangle's height and width.

Also, when I tried to set Grid and Ruler to 1in, I had to do it twice, as after setting it the first time to 1in the program reset it immediately to 72pt. YIKES!

ron
    Last edited by Ron Duke; 08 July 2016 at 10:48 PM.

Xara's Facebook

Hi Ron, I'm having a sense of Deja Vu ;-)

See: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...701#post550701

Phil

Hah, I looked for that thread, Phil. Glad you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi Ron, I'm having a sense of Deja Vu ;-)

See: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...701#post550701

Phil
    Phil,
    You did it again! Many thanks, my hero! I completely forgot about that instance.
    Thanks so much!
    ron

Xara's Facebook