Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: JUST RELEASED! Xara Designer Pro X365

I really don't think the 365 in the name has been decided yet. Not the best way to introduce a new product.

I like 365 or Designer Pro X365. It has a nice ring to it.

Joke Artist (I can't even remember your real name, and no it has not been too long :-) ) I totally agree. Many of us have been trying to convince Xara of the absolute imperative of OpenType Glyph support and master pages, and a few other typographic necessities. Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    Another year and another 'No New Proper Glyph Support for OpenType Fonts' ... absolutely unforgivable in this day and age for a graphics application.

So I'll stick with x9 thank you very much. Xara will not be getting any money from me until they sort this one out.

The can 'Fi' right off as far as I'm concerned (proper designers will get this little joke).
    I agree with everything you say as regards OT Features. It was my line in the sand twice...but for various reasons I upgraded from X9 to XDP11 and now XDP12 (or XDP365, or whatever it is really going to be named...). I did skip version 10.

But yes, come on Xara/Magix. There really is no excuse to stretch out these OT Features as if adding one thing at a time is some sort of carrot to entice people to upgrade. For 14 years these features have been available in many applications. 14 years! Y'all do know how long that is in "computer application years" don't you?

I upgraded to the new Designer Pro no question about it, I love also to use Xara as hub and this graphic program I know most.

However that is tricky a bit, that if someone bought Xara Designer Pro X in 2012:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XDPX.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	113245

that has the same Xara Designer Pro X text as the name of the program (also quite misleading in Windows):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XDPX365.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	113246

Could you please someone look into this 'bug'? Currently only the color of the icon is the different

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Yes. Wonderfully consistent naming they have going on, eh?

Yes.

In theory, from here on out there will only be patches and upgrades to this release, but they will supposedly install in the folder this version is installed to. I don't know if this is accurate nor able to be changed during installation.

But do read the threads concerning what happens under certain circumstances, such as if and when your 365 expires and if you reinstall. It will revert to the capabilities of the first install and one will not have access to the on-line content. Neato. This means, for instance, that any new capabilities added throughout your 365 days will no longer be there. If one never needs to add hardware to the installed-on computer, then those new capabilities will still be there, but the on-line content would be missing (in the above circumstance of not renewing/upgrading at/after the 365 days expires). A new license purchase anytime after the expiration would re-enable all the above and provide access to the on-line content.

If all this sounds confusing, it more or less is.

Mike
    Thanks to those who answered. IMO, I do prefer this new release to be a stand alone release and then I'd much prefer follow on updates get patched. Given the subscription model plus updates arriving as patches, I'd prefer the name to be X365. To me the name of the product is therefore static, with patches updating the release number assigned to the product (e.g. its name).

As for subscription, I'm comfortable with that as long as it follows the Microsoft model. But HEY XARA - LISTEN TO ME AND OTHERS -
    As long as I have paid you for a purchase, then how the heck can you take that away from me? I'm willing to meet you half way - -

I upgrade now and I'm paying you for the product as it currently exists as of July 6, 2016. What is ONLY FAIR XARA, is if I receive updates from July 6, 2016 to July 6, 2017 then I get to keep all updates in perpetuity as of July 6, 2016 AND in perpetuity on July 6, 2017 should I choose to pay you another subscription fee. If I do make this payment on July 6, 2017 then EVERYTHING I have received up until July 6, 2017 is in perpetuity AND YOU CANNOT TAKE THIS AWAY. The clock again resets and on we go.

I'd appreciate an answer to my post earlier regarding the purchase price. I'm told I can upgrade for £75. So I'd like it to be made possible to actually do that please and not the £91 ($118) that I'm subsequently asked to pay when I attempt to check out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara 2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	113248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	113249  

Jimi. You should be able to change the $ to £ in the dropdown box at the top (although I don't know about the invoice) ... That may correct the problem. It shouldn't be giving you $ in any case. Check you're on the EN not US site.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

it may default to the us site if your computer is set to US or you have your location 'hidden' in your browser/computer in which case I'd do as keith suggests
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm on the UK site all the way through to the very final click. Then it loses the "en" in the URL and tries to charge me dollars. I've gone through the "switch to UK" routine twice now and it always ends up the same way.

Update: Tried it with Chrome and it finally worked. It doesn't work on Firefox.

If you do not renew, after a year you get to keep your original purchase and its bug fixes in perpetuity.
    If you stay on the original machine or deactivate and reactivate on a new machine (to a total of 2) within the year, you get to keep the year's previews.
    If you deactivate and reactive or are forced to re-install out of the 365-day Update Guarantee period, then you will revert to your original purchase and its bug fixes.

If you choose to use the new features of the previews and do not renew then if you revert to your pre-preview state, you have the problem that on opening a design file with the preview features and probably just because it was at a later version, the application will list all the things it does not recognise or can no longer handle and so your design may no longer work.

I would call this ransomware, but that is my opinion that I will find hard to justify as I have yet to get to that position.

Outside of the guarantee, you then lose all access to the on-line content.
    You can download all the templates and design resources to your local machine but you need to then back it all up. This is over 2GB of data.

To compound this sorry state, Xara has removed the Find... button from the Local Designs gallery for no stated reason.

I would call this crippleware if I have to guess the folder and location of some 5,000 items.

Despite asking about the status of earlier versions that use the On-line Content Catalogue and the Xara hosting service (free and in beta) being maintained, Xara have not responded.

I would call this unaware.

I this the product and its direction are great (for web design) but the purchase model ("this is not a subscription") is flaky.
    Xara suggested it addressed the drop in new purchases before a major launch, affecting revenue. Revenue for the rump who update will still be in the Summer. Marketing to get new purchasers throughout the year will have to be phenomenal.

I just hope the expected quarterly releases have better DTP, font and vector handling.
    Perhaps we can rename the seasons: Font, Web, DTP, Vector?

As to the name of the application. Today, I have mine displaying Xara Designer Pro 360 as a countdown to renewal or bail day.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

This version seems to offer too little innovation for me to upgrade.

What will they name the next version though? Xara Designer Pro X365 2?
    I hope they won't go the same way that MS went with their Office 365 product and add subscriptions