Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: JUST RELEASED! Xara Designer Pro X365

Thanks browj2 that's cleared that up. Me getting mixed up? Nothing new there!

I was thinking of trying my hand at some simple animation to see if I have an aptitude for it or not, do you have any recommendations as to a particular software - I have to be honest I find very few 'designery-type' software intuitive apart from Xara which I just seemed to pick up.

@David Strover,

You can start right away with Xara DPX. File, New, Animation (Shift+Ctrl+N), read the instructions. You have to name any objects that you want to animate. Check the manual for more details. It is quite simple really. You can add in a background image.

Enjoy!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by David Strover View Post
    Thanks browj2 that's cleared that up. Me getting mixed up? Nothing new there!

I was thinking of trying my hand at some simple animation to see if I have an aptitude for it or not, do you have any recommendations as to a particular software - I have to be honest I find very few 'designery-type' software intuitive apart from Xara which I just seemed to pick up.

file opening issue in ver 11 appears to have gone away - wonder if it was a 'waiting for xara server' issue?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think for some of what I do, the unmentioned new capability to have larger page sizes is great. I make a few booth banners every year and being able to use XDP instead of CorelDraw is a plus.

Another year and another 'No New Proper Glyph Support for OpenType Fonts' ... absolutely unforgivable in this day and age for a graphics application.

So I'll stick with x9 thank you very much. Xara will not be getting any money from me until they sort this one out.

The can 'Fi' right off as far as I'm concerned (proper designers will get this little joke).

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Digitalphaser - Many of us were hoping for more features in the typography area. Dodge and Burn the two new transparency blend modes join the modes added in the previous version, Overlay, Hard Light and Soft Light, plus Color and an updated Luminosity. Normal, Multiply and Screen round out the list. My favorite Brightness was dropped which means I will keep DPX 11 on my computer for when I need it to add shape to an object.
    Yeah, I know. I just expressed my surprise. Tansparency types are not some secret or know-how for programmers.
    Xara adds each last years only two new transparency modes. I suspect that small additions will be sold as serious innovations.

Today, even web designers have the ability via simple programming languages(CSS,JS,SWG/XML) to use up to 15 transparency types. Why Xara not?
    What prevents to equip a program with simple standard tools? I do not ask for the impossible. These are quite basic things.

Just tried to buy the upgrade at £75 including VAT as offered. When I get to the check out it converts it to dollars and it magically becomes $118.18 (approx. £91). I know that the pound is falling, but that much? I would have throught that if the offer price is £75 then that's what I should be paying.

Three Questions -
    1. Is "ver 12" that's being mentioned same as Xara Designer Pro X365?

2. Is X365 a self-contained, stand alone version? as were X10, X11, et all?

3. Any idea if upon upgrade to X365 if there will be a need to install additional standalone versions down the road? or will it merely be "patches/updates" that upgrade the program without a need to retain individual versions - as has been the case in the past?

1. yes, the same
    2. yes pretty much as before
    3. Not sure, the new 365 thing is a bit confusing to be sure
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Quote Originally Posted by CQDX View Post
    1. Is "ver 12" that's being mentioned same as Xara Designer Pro X365?
    Yes. Wonderfully consistent naming they have going on, eh?
    2. Is X365 a self-contained, stand alone version? as were X10, X11, et all?
    Yes.
    3. Any idea if upon upgrade to X365 if there will be a need to install additional standalone versions down the road? or will it merely be "patches/updates" that upgrade the program without a need to retain individual versions - as has been the case in the past?
    In theory, from here on out there will only be patches and upgrades to this release, but they will supposedly install in the folder this version is installed to. I don't know if this is accurate nor able to be changed during installation.

But do read the threads concerning what happens under certain circumstances, such as if and when your 365 expires and if you reinstall. It will revert to the capabilities of the first install and one will not have access to the on-line content. Neato. This means, for instance, that any new capabilities added throughout your 365 days will no longer be there. If one never needs to add hardware to the installed-on computer, then those new capabilities will still be there, but the on-line content would be missing (in the above circumstance of not renewing/upgrading at/after the 365 days expires). A new license purchase anytime after the expiration would re-enable all the above and provide access to the on-line content.

If all this sounds confusing, it more or less is.

Mike