Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: JUST RELEASED! Xara Designer Pro X365

Seems the servers are working again,registered my key this morning without any hick-ups :-)
    So it's time to play

Hans

Hmmm... check for updates does not show this. I guess an entirely new product/system? Will one be able to run both XDPX11 and 365 concurrently?

Quote Originally Posted by Panchdara View Post
    Hmmm... check for updates does not show this. I guess an entirely new product/system? Will one be able to run both XDPX11 and 365 concurrently?
    Okay.. update notification working now.
    Best

I do not see fascinate reviews.

As for me:

1. Improved vector tools - zero.
    2. Improved typography tools - laugh.
    3. Smart shapes - never used.
    4. Photo editing tools:
    a) New blending modes - why only two? Now every editor has a full set of transparency modes. Why Xara not?
    b) New PSD features - I'm not sure that it's necessary for me.
    c) Cheap plugins and stock database - this is no improvement of program core, but small additions.
    By the way, serious customers never take pictures from free databases. Copyright risk is too great. I do not need.

Conclusion:

The lack of serious improvements in color management, typography, compatibility of standard graphic file formats makes
    Xara not more modern and professional.
    Xara remains very comfortable graphic software with ordinary functionality.

I'm taking a break and invest somewhere else. Very sorry.

Is there anything new that only Designer Pro has?

As far as I can tell it's only the new features of Web Designer and P&G combined

Panchdara - Yes, you can have both versions installed.

Digitalphaser - Many of us were hoping for more features in the typography area. Dodge and Burn the two new transparency blend modes join the modes added in the previous version, Overlay, Hard Light and Soft Light, plus Color and an updated Luminosity. Normal, Multiply and Screen round out the list. My favorite Brightness was dropped which means I will keep DPX 11 on my computer for when I need it to add shape to an object.

Dutchim - I don't think there are any new features exclusive to DPX365. But this is consistent with the previous versions. DPX365 just gives you all the tools and features.

I am confused then I am old and that is par for the cause.

I downloaded the new version and it states designerprox365-64.exe then running it installs XDP X

The title when run states XD Pro X and the help about states Xara Designer Pro X 12.2.0.45774 DL x64 Jul 1 2016

I have just run my old version and that title is Xara Designer Pro X11 and the about reports Xara Designer Pro X 11.2.5.42127 DL x64 Dec 9 2015

In Apps on my windows 10 it states the XDP X is new but lists XDP X11, there is no mention of 365

I agree Peter. Magix seem to really excel at having (and changing) long software titles. I assume the name will be Xara Designer Pro X (why the X I don't know)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, especially as I hardly post here anymore, but I remember reading the new 365 subscription model caused a huge and heated debate on here.

Now bearing that mind I will upgrade as it only costs £75 which in this day and age really is a bargain - there are definitely features I would use during the course of the small amounts of work I do - but I will probably be getting a new laptop in the near future [it's my birthday soon and my wife is great] but there seemed to be some huge controversy with transferring the licence over should you change computers or one breaks down.....

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick, as usual, but can anyone confirm this wrinkle has been ironed out, or if indeed it ever was a wrinkle?

If so I'll be credit-carding my way to debt - again!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Just tried out XDPX365 with Magix Video Pro X and Movie Edit Pro 2016 and finally, finally, they got the two to work together for the animation (broken since X9). The video from VPX advances in Xara animation. I created a simple animation of a named star, moved it, resized it, made fill transparent, change colour, and it all worked back into VPX as an animation. Wow! They've got my money. If anyone wants to see how to do this, let me know.

@David Strover,
    You have mixed up the Activation process with the quasi-subscription (365).

1. Activation - you can activate for a device, de-activate, install on a second device and activate it, de-activate it, and re-activate the first device. I just installed W10 and de-activated first, had to re-install Xara, then re-activated Xara, no problems.

2. Controversial 365 subscription method - read what Gary P. has to say about this in the First Looks link. Basically you are purchasing the latest version and getting an advance on any new features up to the anniversary date. If you don't re-subscribe, no problem - you keep everything including any interim upgraded features - unless you have to re-install, in which case you drop back to the features that you had when you last subscribed. Look at it this way, nothing changed, you get the latest version of features as is normal for a new version plus an advance on the next version features which you get to keep if you re-subscribe (just like getting a new version). The only other thing is that there will be no more version numbers, only upgrade additions. Thus there is no more requirement to install a new version every year.

John