Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default graphics pen not working with Xara Designer Pro X11

I have tried to use the drag and drop function so that I could put several colors on a linear fill but can't seem to get it to work. I used to do it all the time with X10 so I can't figure out why it isn't working with X11. Could I have inadvertently changed something in options? I've tried using the regular mouse as well as my Wacom graphics pad and pen and neither one works. Can anybody out there give me some advice. Thanks.

Manny

Default Re: graphics pen not working with Xara Designer Pro X11

you do need to get the cursor arrow tip on the line so that the cursor indicator turns to a white square before you release the mouse key, this is precise and sometimes can be fiddly, altering zoom may help; also you should not have an existing colour handle selected when you do it or you will likely get the colour replacement dialog in ver 11

note it won't add colour until you release the key

alternatively you can add handles by double clicking on the line when the cursor inicator is a hand and the centre of the cursor cross is on the line - again this is precise - when you have added the handles you can drag and drop colour to them, or select them by clicking on them and then clicking on the colour line as normal - deselect handles by clicking on them again

works ok for me in XDP11

EDIT: you don't need to double click to select/deselect colour handles single click will do, only need to double-click to add them; to remove them right-click [I'm out of practice here, sorry]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-21 07_44_25-Groove Music.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	113083  
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 June 2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: double-click for select/deselect handles
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Your answer was spot-on. Thanks so much for your help.

Manny

glad to help - is your pen working ok now?
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's working great but I think somewhere down the line I'm probably going to "graduate" to a more updated Wacom product, like maybe the Bamboo. I had talked to one of their representatives and was pretty certain that I said I didn't need a really complex system, just something to use instead of a standard mouse but could also use with my beloved Xara software. He sent me an upgraded Wacom product that was just too complicated, at least for me, and it cost me $249.00. I immediately contacted them and returned the product with no acrimony. At any rate it will probably time for a change in the near future. Thanks for your patience and knowledge.

Manny

The Bamboo is excellent and not overbloated. I'd recommend it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, you've helped me immeasurably many times and I appreciate it very much. Your advice means a lot to me. Thanks again.

Manny

I can't speak for sure for the US market but here in the UK the bamboo tablet no longer exists as a new product - the name 'bamboo' still exists, but it now refers to stylus product, as in bamboo solo/duo/spark/loop/paper, not graphic tablet

graphic tablets are now branded as intuos or cintiq only - if this applies in the US then to follow egg's advice for a new tablet you should be looking at one of the less expensive intuos: draw/art/photo/comic; what you were sent was possibly one of the higher end intuos, one of the pro versions maybe
    Nothing lasts forever...

... which is not to say you can't still get the old bamboo, I see maplin UK are still selling them off, as are others I would think, but they are no longer made, and that raises a query over long term support...
    Nothing lasts forever...