Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Snap object's center to grid

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I don't see that Larry... there is the rotation origin point, which is a circle with a cross on it...
    Odd, I get the same on the quick shapes as I do using the freehand tool. But you are right it is a circle with a cross in it.
    OK, I tested it again several times and this time they are different. Therefore please accept my humble apology Gary, I stand corrected.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

if you have 'show rotation handles' button pressed on the infobar you will see rotation origin point on both, easy done
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's interesting to see how Xara determines the centre of a triangle & and it's centre of rotation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle-centered.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	113053  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

we had a thread about this a while back - the geometricians [is that a word?] were musing on the ways of defining theoretical centres of asymmetric objects...
    Nothing lasts forever...

.. geometricians [is that a word?]
    Well it is now. I remember that thread.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I haven't time to check it out - but is the xara way you posted based on the four quartiles of the triangle all having the same area in terms of square inches/cm/pixels [square pixels, there's a concept...]

I once asked a xerox machine operator to reduce an A3 sheet down to '50% fixed aspect' [ie A5] - back came an A4 sheet.. well you asked for half size was the explanation which it is by surface area, but it was not what I had actually asked for.... I actually asked for a 50% reduction to both axis...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'd just ask for an A5 next time

Xara determines the centre of rotation to be half the shapes bounding box's x & y value. This can be odd if a triangle is rotated.

The centroid indicated on a triangular quick shape however is determined by the intersection of lines from each corner to the half way point of the opposite edge.
    Egg

you are right of corse - I was just forgetting 50% is a special case [in terms of A sizes] as opposed to say 32%.... someone took what they thought was a 'short-cut'

the rotation point can be moved of course....
    Nothing lasts forever...