Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 404 message on mobile version

Hello,
    I just made the mobile version of my website (Xara Designer Premium) and uploaded to the my host.
    Unfortunately, when go on my website with my smart phone I'm getting a 404 message.
    I thought the problem had something to do with A2 Hosting and I called them up. They checked my website and they said the problem didn't have anything to do with them. Then the gentleman from tech support who i talked on the phone tried my website on his cell phone with adding /index.htm at the end of the web address and it worked.
    When I go on my website on my computer and I scale the browser window down to a mobile size, it's transforms to the mobile version.
    I was thinking that maybe I did something wrong while creating the mobile version. So I downloaded a Xara Theme that comes with mobile version and I uploaded to my host without changing anything. The result was the same. 404 !

I really appreciate if someone could help me.

Thank you

Default Re: 404 message on mobile version

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Web browsers are very sensitive to .htm and .html But on a mobile device as long as you do not specify index.htm or index.html in the page address (URL) the browser should look for and automatically load the index page.

If you have published your site with the default .htm extensions and you have existing files on your computer that use .html then the browser will load the .html pages, even if they are older.

This does not sound like what you are experiencing.

Can you give us a link to your site so we can have a look and see if we can determine what is gone awry?

Thank you gwpriester.
    My webpage is www.tilesnstone.com
    I really appreciate your help.
    I did also upload a xara theme to my host with no changes just to see if the problem was because of something that I may have done while creating the website. I experienced the same problem. I uninstalled & re-installed Xara a couple of hours ago and I opened my latest *.web file then I exported it to a new folder and I uploaded it to the server. It didn't work. I still have 404

Hi Uzay, in the page and layer gallery change the page name from index to index.html, and see if that works

Hey Jamesd,
    Thank you for your suggestion. It did not work
    Before when i typed www.tilesnstone.com/index.htm the website worked on the phone but now /.index.html doesnt work either.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forbid.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	112774  

Did you recently change the name servers?

Did you change something?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	works for me.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	112778  

Uzay, working now.

You need to remove or change some of those shadow effects that you are using. They look terrible. Never dislocate the shadow from the shape/letters and generally only put it only a two or three pixels to the right and below with a very small blur.

The mouse-over effects on your menus need to go.

Paul

Good Morning Pauland,
    Thank you for trying to help.
    Last night I was up until 5 am working on it. I changed .htaccess file multiple times. You must have visited the page after I uploaded a .htaccess that did not work. ( that happened many times while trying to edit .htmaccess file.
    Destop version is working. Mobile version is not unlesss I add /index.htm file to the address. I wanst able to find a .htaccess file that redirect to the same file.