Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default adobe illustrator question

Hi, I'm new to illustrator cc. Is the a setting for a factor of how finely it divides an arc or bezier into line segments? I am exporting to dxf so I can work on the file in cam software. Attached is a picture to illustrate my issue, looks like the smaller quarter round to the right has more detail better resolution and big "S" shape has many "edges, line segments".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.35.23 AM.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	112772

Default Re: adobe illustrator question

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I moved this question from Challenges to Graphics. Check back in a bit and see if anybody has any answers (I'm confident they will)

Can I ask you how you did this? Did you draw the profile shape and then use the 3D Effects in Illy or what. Did a quick "S" shape drawing a tried both revolve & extrude both worked well and had smooth transitions in colour. Do not have autoCAD on my h/disc so can't tell how it imports only have AI. Does your CAM machine only use dxf. is there any other format that you can use? like PDF. I have experience using this type of file in Inventor and then popping it off to 3D printer or laser cutter/engraver so can help. Also having using Illy for many years so can help.
    Design is thinking made visual.

This is for you.. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/...g-objects.html .. Just read this direction, Hope it'll help you a lot.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrismnj View Post
    Hi, I'm new to illustrator cc. Is the a setting for a factor of how finely it divides an arc or bezier into line segments? I am exporting to dxf so I can work on the file in cam software. Attached is a picture to illustrate my issue, looks like the smaller quarter round to the right has more detail better resolution and big "S" shape has many "edges, line segments".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.35.23 AM.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	112772
    Hi chrismnj—

This is not the answer you might expect, but would you like a copy of this design in DXF so you can use it in your cam software?

That is to say, this design is a snap to create in a modeling program.

Why not post this quandry on the 3D forum, or failing that, it would take me all of 5 minutes to solve for you, without Illustrator.

My Best,

Gary

Gary this thread was started away back in May this year and the member didn't reply.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Gary this thread was started away back in May this year and the member didn't reply.
    Ah, sorry for that folks, Peter.

I leapt before looking.

I retract the offer.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by coderchris View Post
    Gare which modeling program u recommend for it?
    As long as you export the Xara drawing to Illustrator file format (*.ai), just about any open source or commercial program will accept the profile, and then all you do is extrude the shape.

There's no realt trick or anything special you need to do:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piano-likeShape.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	114060

Why don't you download the fully-functional trial of Xara (you don't list it as your software on your profile), and then get a copy of Blender, and see for yourself how easy it is.

All you do is extrude it, and actually, if you don't mind a plastic look, Xara can extrude shapes just fine without the need for a modeling program.

My Best,

Gary