Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flattening a pdf

Hi

the printer has requested that i flatten my pdf document.

How do I go about doing this.

I'm using Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.

His words: "please could you flatten the image when opening the pdf in coreldraw we getting multiple layers and the layout is changing."

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Flattening a pdf

Hi Zakiyya,
    There're a few things you could do to flatten your PDF. Firstly take all of your text and turn them into shapes. This deals with the printer maybe not having your font + no permission to use it. Next thing you have a group of triangles which use transparencies I would create a bitmap copy of them if your printer is really picky. Normally this is done by the PDF export filter but not in your case as it is just a clipped group. Also again if your printer, really is really picky you should flatten your background as it has an opacity mask which maybe been done by PDF export filter as you might have had a white background which you when you used a feathering produced the mask (RGB effect).

If it was me that was doing this card I would use layers, you might have done cos the export filter flattens layers, Reason for this is that you remove the RGB effects by creating a bitmap copy and then hide+ lock your original Xara bits, save your file and then export your PDF. You have got good practise by having your text in the top most stack of your "Page and Layer Gallery". you can also use the same practice where you hide and lock your text using a clone to convert to shapes so that you still have your editable text.

You printer is being a pain to be honest as the PDF export filter deals with most things and then the printers RIP software should deal with the rest.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Albacore for the prompt response.

Will sort it out using the options you've given me.

I agree the printer is being a pain. As someone once said on the forum - he should just take my money and print the dang thing!

Your PDF doesn't have layers. There's nothing to "flatten" in that regard. Even though the transparency comes into CD just fine, do what is suggested and convert a copy of the background into a bitmap.

The text can be imported into CD as curves, and it works fine, but if they are using CD for imposition, then one might as well also convert them to shapes (curves).