Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Coupla quick questions about Designer Pro 11...

.... and in any case even if you do not choose to preview the new values it should still export them ok - if it does not, that may be a bug [edit you replied whilst I typed this ]

the base unit of a vector editor like xara is the object not the layer - that is all the objects are independent of each other - whilst it may not impossible to do [I don't actually know], applying attributes to objects that are not selected, globally, is not the way the program is designed to work, so a layer transparency is unlikely I think...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by WillBellJr View Post
    Hi Handrawn, I just recently upgraded to Pro v11.

-Will
    thanks - it looks like you are still getting used to the UI but have now got it to work

it is good practice not only to keep dpi/ppi in whole numbers but to place them on whole pixel coordinates on the page area for precise work
    Nothing lasts forever...

You could set up a document with a 2048px square and save it as a template. then you wouldn't have to redo it every time you need it.

Cool Re: Coupla quick questions about Designer Pro 11...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    thanks - it looks like you are still getting used to the UI but have now got it to work

it is good practice not only to keep dpi/ppi in whole numbers but to place them on whole pixel coordinates on the page area for precise work
    Hi Handrawn, yep, I checked and corrected a few of the x/y coords as well when I went though my document adjusting any off values I ran across.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    You could set up a document with a 2048px square and save it as a template. then you wouldn't have to redo it every time you need it.
    Yep, I always setup presets for 1024, 2048 and 4096 - I've actually been using Designer Pro since version 8, I dropped off at Pro X, but decided to hop back on again now at v11.

Just haven't used the program in a good minute having mostly used Substance Painter as a focus recently. It's when I needed the control and accuracy of vectors over painting where I decided to get back into Xara again (not to mention Designer Pro is great for churning out the occasional web page or two lol!)

Thanks everyone!

-Will

true enough - a painting program xara is not - but a damn good vector editor [and I skipped ver 10 too - it was mostly web oriented release rather than drawing]

always glad to help
    Nothing lasts forever...

Question Re: Coupla quick questions about Designer Pro 11...

Okay, hopefully I'm not breaking etiquette, by asking 2-unrelated questions in one thread, I figured I'd keep my questions isolated here for convenience...

I was googling around yesterday wondering if Designer can tile a singular image example:

Original "tileable texture":
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TextureTile.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	112713

In Substance Designer they have a simple "2D transform" node that lets you offset / rotate / scale an incoming image - here I simply "/2" the image 4-times or so to increase the tiling:

Name:	TransformedTile.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	112712

Is there a way to do this in Designer? Or is there perhaps a compatible plugin that Designer can use to tile a selected image?

I've been doing the vector work in Designer, and bitmap stuff like this in Substance Designer, but the more I can stay with Designer, especially when it already has great image editing tools (I love the clone and image clip to shape features), it would allow me to stay totally within Designer for everything I'm doing.

Anyway, just wondering if I'm missing out on something Xara Designer can do...

Thanks!

-Will

No real plug-in architecture, so no 3rd-party additions.

Xara applications are more a by-the-seat-of-the-pants applications. So nothing comparable to your divisor example when importing tiles (or anything).

You can fill an object with a bitmap fill, have it repeat, scale it (without math precision). So for example, you can draw a rectangle. Import your tile (if it isn't already). Every bitmap in a drawing is available in a gallery. In this case, take the fill tool with the rectangle selected. On the context toolbar, at the left of it, there is a dropdown that by default is "Flat Fill." Set it to "Bitmap." Next dropdown is whether it is a single tile, or a repeating tile. Set it to one of the repeats. Over a couple positions is a dropdown for what bitmap to include in the fill. Set it to your bitmap you wish to tile.

Now there are two "handles." Play with them to see the effect. If you wish to keep proportions and rotation as is, once you begin to move one of the handles, press the ctrl key.

Name:	Capture-000339.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	112715

I always did this using Blends.

First the column, then the rows.

Put thing to be replicated, top left. Copy and place top right. Blend from one to the other. Group the row. Copy and place copy where last row should be. Blend between rows.
    Last edited by pauland; 19 May 2016 at 02:33 PM.

Talking Re: Coupla quick questions about Designer Pro 11...

Thanks Mwenz and again, Pauland - the first suggestion looks to be exactly what I was hoping for - precision isn't all that necessary; just looking to add slight paneling details to my surfaces and bitmap filling a shape is exactly what I was hoping for, didn't think to look for that functionality.

I'll try both suggestion, Pauland your suggestion may come in handy when I need fine control over the placement of the tiles going across or down.

Thanks again, I think I'm straight for the things I'm looking to do within Xara Designer now...

-Will

Edit - Mwenz! You hooked me up! The bitmap fill was exactly what I was looking for!

Has the exact same controls I get in Substance Designer, but actually at times, way more responsive in XD.

I can scale, rotate and position the fill exactly where I need it AND the tile is automatically clipped by the shape I put the fill into (faster to achieve in XD) - so much easier doing all my color work this way, which I can then export for final placement back on my model.

Thanks everyone for getting me going with what I'm looking to accomplish!
    Last edited by WillBellJr; 19 May 2016 at 06:18 PM.

You're welcome. Glad we could be of assistance.

Mike