Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "pen pressure" tool - greyed out - wacom tablet

I have a wacom intuous on a machine I have just installed Photo and Graphic Designer on.

The pen works fine with Xara, but I can't figure out how I can select the "pen pressure" tool

When I locate the button in the menu, its greyed-out

Screenshot:
    http://prntscr.com/b302q8

Can anyone advise how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

jim

Default Re: "pen pressure" tool - greyed out - wacom tablet

No need to choose the icon. Make sure you don't have a previous line selected. Choose the line width you prefer (say, 8px--this sets the largest width the line will draw at full pressure) and start drawing. The tool will automatically respond to pressure. The only trouble is, with Xara Designer Pro 11, the line you draw doesn't change width until you lift the pen, which I consider a huge bug that makes it tough to draw.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

you do need to click the enable pen pressure button on the infobar then the pressue sensitivity works fine. I use a wacom intuos pen and touch with Designer pro 11 and I see the line width vary as I draw.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Pressure sensitivity works fine, but I only see a thin blue line as I draw it; lift the pen and it changes to a variable-weight black (in this case) line. I would prefer to see the variable weight line as I draw so that I could see how much pressure I wish to apply. It worked for me in previous versions. Perhaps its a Windows 10 thing.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I don't think it's a windows thing, I'm running Windows 10 and it works for me. The only time I get the blue line is if I'm using a complex art brush, but then I have created some art brushes that are made up of a lot of shapes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

the drop down menu you show in your screen shoot is really meant to apply a stroke shape to an already drawn line - that is why pressure sensitivity is greyed out because there is no default to apply

as long as you have the button on the info bar pressed, and there is nothing selected [as have been mentioned] then it will automatically switch to pressure sensitive mode when you use the freehand line tool with a pressure sensitive pen such as the wacom

if you are using wacom you need the latest wacom drivers installed to avoid any other problems....

edit - it works fine in winsdows 10 for me - the issue with blue line is likely a screen rendering one, hence the complex brushes doing this as mentioned - if it is doing it with a simple brush in a recent version of xara, then I would look to checking out the computer graphics drivers, they may need updating... [tablet drivers too]
    Last edited by handrawn; 12 May 2016 at 08:23 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the responses, angelize and handrawn. Wacom graphics driver may very well be the issue--I'll check it out after I finish my coffee.

EDIT: Hmmm...they don't have a Windows 10 driver for my old Intuos PTZ-930. Only goes to Windows 8. Oh, well.
    Last edited by Fin; 12 May 2016 at 03:31 PM.