Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default PNG export -- can't enter DPI number manually

Hi forum,

I need to export a page to a 240dpi PNG file. However, Designer would not let me type more than two digits in the "DPI" text box.

Why is this, and how can I enter the number I need?

Regards
    David.P

Default Re: PNG export -- can't enter DPI number manually

Don't know why that is David. I can type 4 numbers in mine. What does it show if you select 300 from the drop-down? Are you using Xara on a PC?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

usually follows windows settings - you haven't accidently typed in a full-stop[period] in front have you?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ah, I just remembered that I had this problem before, and that the solution was very weird: depending on your Windows DPI settings, a three digit number can be wider than that DPI number input box in the Designer export dialog. While normally, this would not prevent you from entering a "wider" number, with Xara it does. Therefore, I had to drag that export dialog wider using a hack called resizenable, and sure enough, I could enter any number I want into that DPI input box.

Hint: this is a bug.
    Last edited by angelize; 07 May 2016 at 07:44 AM.

ah right - not sure that that is a bug as such because xara does not claim to be compatible with anything other than the standard windows settings [which is usually follows very well], and to me a bug is a flaw in a supported feature, not in an unsupported one

but glad you got it sorted
    Nothing lasts forever...

In my view it is definitely a programming bug if the number of digits you can enter in a program's dialog is randomly limited, of all things, by the dpi settings of your operating system.

Btw., I just had to install that ResizeEnable hack also on my Win10 laptop (that has a hiDPI screen like every decent laptop nowadays), in order to export bitmaps with a higher than 2-digit-resolution

as a matter of interest, what exactly do you mean by 'Windows DPI settings' in this context?
    Nothing lasts forever...

yes well maybe I worded my question incorrectly - what I meant was, what settings are you using [and is you monintor[s] set at native resolution] - this issue has been around a while and I reckon it is because the xara UI is older than the windows feature in question and was never designe for it

To me that is still an unsuported feature, the flaw is not in the program itself, but in the fact that it has not been updated to keep in line

But I am sure a google search of software/computer bug, should you wish to do that as well, would produce a variety of definitions; it is that sort of concept

You can always reprot it as a bug in Dear Xara forum...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello David, first off I removed the link you posted as it was brought to my attention that the site might not be safe. Are you still using photo and graphic designer 6 as it says in your profile? I have been unable to replicate your issue as Egg reported I can type up to 4 digits in mine. Perhaps if the issue happens again you could raise a ticket with Xara support or as Handrawn suggests make a post in the Dear Xara forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hello David, first off I removed the link you posted as it was brought to my attention that the site might not be safe.
    OMG... hat was a link to the super trivial Google image search below......................

google.com/search?q=windows+dpi+settings&tbm=isch

Are you still using photo and graphic designer 6 as it says in your profile?
    No, I should correct that. I am using Xara PAGD 11. The issue comes up in every case where people have a hiDPI screen and have the Windows DPI settings set to more than 100%.

Cheers
    David