Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default repeated error on large .pdf export

I'm going mad.
    I have a 30 page, sample car photography book I need to get printed (custom 1 off) for a friend.
    Trying to export as a adobe reader v8 (pdf 1.7) with the rasterization resolution set to 250 dpi and the jpeg quality at 90%.
    The P&LD file is just over 300mB. If I try to export all the pages at once, I get a 1599.k.xp.er error.
    So I then exported only the first 10 pages - hey presto, no problem.
    I then tried to export pages 11-20 - no go, same error. Pages 11-18 - no go. Eventually pages 11-15 worked.
    I had to keep on trying reducing the number of pages in sections for the rest of the book until I found a quantity that didn't cause the error.

Eventually, I have to produce a 60 page book, and I can't work like this.

Any help will be VERY much appreciated .
    Mike

Core i7-4712HQ cpu@ 2.30Ghz, 16Gb ram, 1 Gb Nvidia graphics card, 64 bit win 8.1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export error.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	112449

Default Re: repeated error on large .pdf export

What size are the pages?

What is the average size in pixel dimensions are the original images?

What size in DPI does your Xara application say the average image is down in the stat line with one selected?

Mike, thanks for trying to help out!
    I've designed the pages as double page spreads - this is what the printers want - 900mm wide by 300mm high.
    There are generally 2 images per spread - 1 one each side of he gutter.
    Original jpg = 88676x5777px - 8,81mb.
    In document, 435mmx285mm, optimized to 250dpi at 95% quality.

Name:	sample spread.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	112454

Many thanks,
    Mike

Is Designer Pro any more suitable or capable for this kind of work? - if things work out, I'll be doing a 100 page book.

I assume the 88,676 px for the long edge should be 8,676 px ?

How did you optimize the images in P&LD? Did you first size them to the requisite size on the page, make a Bitmap Copy, then delete the original? Or are you letting the PDF creation routine do so?

That is one large book. So what it the actual page size in width? The 450mm (450x2=900mm) or is each page 900mm? I am assuming the former and not the latter.

Does the printer wants the output of both pages as a single page in the PDF? Or still exported as individual pages? In XDP, at least, the option exists on the Page Size tab of the Options dialog. Don't know about P&LD.

Whom is doing the printing?

If you would be willing to share the file, upload it to a place like dropbox.com and PM me the link to it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Is Designer Pro any more suitable or capable for this kind of work? - if things work out, I'll be doing a 100 page book.
    Posted while I was composing my first reply.

I wouldn't use XDP for a 16 page brochure. Nor an 8 page one. Nor likely a 4 page one. Will it do it? Without a test file of your book's size, I wouldn't know.

Hi Mike,
    1. Sorry for the typo - yes, 8676 wide.
    2. I imported the original jpg, enlarged it to fit the page, right click in P&LD - optimize image - and then choose the settings I first posted.
    3. Yip, page size is 450mm wide.
    4. AFAIK, he wants double page spreads i.e. left & right hand pages as one. Have sent him an email to check.
    5. I live in south africa http://coffeetablebooks.co.za/
    6. I will reduce the .xar file to 15 pages and then pm you the kink.

Many thanks once again!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    The P&LD file is just over 300mB
    In the past I have had a 50 MB design file and when exporting my system memory took up to 1 GB.

Do you have enough system virtual memory?

If P&LD is Xara Photo & Graphics Designer then it is only 32-bit and your memory requirement might be choking your machine even though your OS is 64-bit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Page & Layout Designer. Don't know what bit that is available in without popping over to Xara's website.

Mike sent me 15 pages. Other than some possible layout issues, the file exports to PDF fine using XDP. However, I don't know what the whole brochure would do in one go. I think it would be fine, though.

Hi Acorn - with the 30 page file running it's using 2666mb.
    How do I free up more virtual memory?

Name:	memory.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	112461