Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default .eps export question

Hi,
    I made a logo with text with X-Prox11 which should have transparent background. Now I want to send it to a special fabric-printshop and they expressed, they need .eps files. I checked the capabilities of X-ProX11 and can see that there are multiple possibilities to export as .eps file. The issue I have is:
    Which one to use to display my set properly ?
    a) Adobe Illustrator (.ai / .eps) - This turns the file into .ai (which is some kind of .eps, but the file ending is not .eps, so I wonder whether it will work or not.)
    b) ArtWork EPS (.eps) - This I read, could not display transparencies, so it should be not good for my situation
    c) XaraX EPS (.eps) - this approach asks good questions , like convert txt into curves and selection of dpi level.
    The problem I have:
    Once exported as .EPS (no matter which option), I can no longer import it into Xara, to control the file.
    So, the question for me is, how can I check the exported .eps file to understand whether it is done properly or not ?
    What is the the thing I missed in my logic to proceed properly ?

Thanks,
    Holger

Default Re: .eps export question

you would need something like illustrator to open eps

if your file is pure vector you should not have a problem with transparency in either ai or xarax eps - but if you have used bitmap [photo] I believe these will be flattened, that is they will not preserve transparency within their boundaries

EDIT - I am sure someone here with illustrator would be prepared to open the eps for you and resave it in a format you can open in xdp11 - and that said, the ai eps should open in xara, it does for me...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Technically EPS doesn't support transparency.

The EPS file export will.offernupnthe AI extension. When you give it a file name, just add the .eps extension. There is no difference in the output.

All,
    thx for your feedback.
    I finally checked with the shop, they would accept .ai too.
    I also double checked my Xara file, which by accident, did have a tiny bitmap included, which I did not recognized.
    I prepared all new in Xara, based on vectors, exported as AdobeIllustrator .ai and it worked so far.
    At least I could open the .ai with Xara then and see how it displays.
    So, I sent it to the print-shop and hope this is good for them.
    Thanks,
    Freewind