Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMYK / RGB

Default Re: CMYK / RGB

quickstamp lists Xara Page & Layout Designer Mike. Unclear as to which version.

But at least for several, if not all versions, the attached is true.

As you have suggested, we need to hear back from quickstamp if any of this information has been helpful.

Bickering among ourselves is not likely to encourage new members from responding or participating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pantone.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	112424  

Not bickering, Gary. Not on my end anyway.

We must be seeing different information in the OP's profile.

did I say CMYX - too late to edit now, but you all know I am dyspesic and meant CMYK

P&GD in the profile - P&LD in the OP - it's just not clear is it; I guess it's likely that the profile is out of date, but who knows for sure?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi all and so many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. My original post does actually say I am using Xara page and layout, which does export to CMYK.
    Now chaps - as usual on these forums if you are going to be helpful you really need to stop with the tech jargon - I am a self-taught designer who makes a living and is learning as he goes, 80% of what has been posted here I simply don't understand.

The comment which helps me the most is gwpriesters advice to change to show print colours, he also includes a screenshot.

Thanks ever so much though, appreciate the trouble!

Tim

ok - but [at the risk of being semi-technical ] do not take 'show print colours' as literal - it is very much an approximation due to a monitor being light which is made up from red-green-blue, and ink being pigmented ie cyan [blue], yellow, magenta [red], and 'k' [black]

I reckon letting the printer do the conversion and specifying the colour shades you want printed, from a print standard list [eg pantone], is most accurate
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi quickstamp I am like you I just wanted to get work done so I always used the local print shop and just took my file along. At first I was quite nervous about the whole process so wanted to see what my file looked like so I got them to print one page I think it cost me 75 pence. Now you local print shops printer is just like a big scanner in some ways it's not as precise as what you get in a large print biz. Well I got the file back and some colours looked fine but others were darker it sort of muddy the colours into each other. Again use the practical approach as I was going to do exemplar colour prints that was going out to all technical departments in Scottish Schools so I had too crack this. So went to the print works that was going to do this job just to talk to them and gosh they really gave me the "leg up" they lent me a copy of Adobe's Acrobat Pro so I could look at my drawings properly and gave me tips of things not to include in my sheets. To cut along story short I got my files printed out and they looked good. Now the software that they use now to get files printed is vastly better than the ones that was used then as they can RIP files that contain RGB colours and produce better results than they did then.

So get yourself down to your local shop and pay for one print and see what you get and talk to them when your down there. The other 3 things that you can do is to buy yourself a cheap CMYK laser printer just to see your files printed, -----> Make up 2 sheets one with an RGB colour wheel the other is to print off a limited palette of colours that you think are nice colours (over 100 different colours with their values) then you'll see what works and what doesn't and you'll have a reference when you print them ----> If you're going to get work about once a month buy a 2nd hand copy of Acro Pro or at least buy a Pantone book of colours.

On your yellow colour for you print job do you have the RGB value of that colour? If you have then use the online converters that are around the net and instead of using the colour editor in your Xara prog. in RGB or Hex use the CMYK part in the same editor.. Hope that some way helps in some way.
    Design is thinking made visual.