Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New subscription type method for Xara - no version 12

I think there was something mentioned a while back about how to handle computers not connected to the internet. We should have this answer refreshed and posted where we will remember it. I believe that there is a separate area for corporate and education purchasers; J_Superman should check with Xara.

I expect that Xara will continue to issue the program on disk, but I don't know how that would work with the subscription method, because the disk would have to have the latest version or one would have to connect to the internet to get the latest update.

That said, with the subscription method and updates/upgrades scattered throughout the year, what happens if one doesn't subscribe upon the anniversary date but waits 6 months? Will this be possible? Will the person then receive the latest versions with all upgrades or will some be passed over and the subscriber only receives upgrades during the new one year period? Or will the person have to renew the subscription starting with the last anniversary date? This looks like it could become messy. One may miss an upgrade, say a new tool, and then a patch follows during the new subscription period covering the missed tool and more. How would this work?

What about documentation? How does Magix plan on providing updated documentation or user manuals or Help files containing new features as they come out?

Rather than purchase the upgrade right away, would it be better to wait for 6 months until most of the problems have been resolved with the new version, and maybe some new features added? That way one would benefit from 18 months, no?

Magix should clarify the details, not just for Xara, but for their entire lineup.

BTW, Magix/Xara has us by the short and curlies now. They could (but wouldn't dare) simply get to a point where they tell you to upgrade and subscribe or else the next time Xara phones home to check the validity of the serial number vs the device, the program could be deactivated.

Anyway, I don't think that we should panic but simply ask Magix/Xara for clarification. I am sure that they don't want to drive loyal customers away or discourage new ones. So far, they have always been willing to help resolve problems and answer questions.

John

John, that's a lot of worries that really shouldn't be concerns in practice.

Adobe does continuous updates and generally it hasn't proven problematic. Software and documentation are updated together, continuously. I just get a notification that updates are available for download.

With Magix you would subscribe, get the updates when available and when your subscription ends, your updates stop (Adobe cuts access altogether at that point). At some stage you start your subscription and the updates continue and would include all updates when you hadn't had a subscription.

I don't see why anyone would panic. It's a real improvement - continual updates rather than once a year. No more paying in January and again in August if you wanted the new release that happened in between.

Paul,

Overall, I see it as a real benefit. No more having to port over projects started in one version to a new one. No more having to set up everything, plug-ins, favourites, my stuff, etc. This has been a real pain in some of the programs. No more having to ask for the upgrade price (Magix seems to forget to offer me this). Less disk space used by keeping multiple versions of the programs. I usually upgrade anyways; subscription is easier.

Magix Video Pro X, the upgrade from X7 just came out and I'm downloading it.

During the installation of Magix Video Pro X, this ad came on the screen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara DPX1.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	112367

So there you have it, Magix is already announcing Xara Designer Pro X, no number, no date.

John

It's just amazing there's no comment here from Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's just amazing there's no comment here from Xara.
    I find the lack of information typical myself.

I'm also very happy to hear this news. Receiving a whole bunch of new features, however great, once a year, without any prior notice, has made it very difficult to plan or to recommend Xara to non-techies. So hopefully it will mean the end of my telling people in April that they really should try out this great Xara programme... but that um... they should actually not try it out yet or expect instructions from me, because it will probably be very different very soon... but that no, I haven't a clue what 'very soon' means.

It would be helpful to hear as soon as possible from Xara, whether there will be one more 'radical' upgrade before the changes take place.

From a programmers point of view this seems like a nightmare. It is hard enough to get a stable release. if several of you are working on different enhancements putting together a release with one feature without the others being finishes - ow.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Grace, with conditional compiling it is less of an issue. However, enhancements/additions/changes to an existing or new feature that has dependencies need to be handled accordingly. And the conditional compile tested, tested, tested...

I do want to add this,

Corel also does something like this in a split manner. People with a "Premium" license have new features as developed and finalized. These are pushed through the update system. These subscribers receive bug fixes and new features. (There is also a "pure" subscription model as well.)

People with the "Standard" license purchase the upgrade as it comes out with any new features that have been added through the release cycle then available to them. These license holders receive only bug fixes.

In Corel's case, the release cycle is anywhere between 18 and 20+ months. And they have a "few" more programmers available to them.

What Magix is doing at this point seems like what Corel is calling their "Premium" license structure. It works for Corel and will likely work for Magix. There are differences, of course, between both companies execution of the idea.

Mike