Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New subscription type method for Xara - no version 12

I think Magix would never dare replicate the Adobe position. Adobe only managed it because they had the professional market by the short and curlies..

The bulk of Adobe's CC subscribers are institutions (governments, organizations), not creative professionals. In fact, if one were to categorize creative professionals as independents plus small and large agencies, the non-professionals are a higher percentage of CC users than they are.

There are 12 million plus users hanging onto their perpetual licensed versions of Adobe desktop applications. CC is a relatively small percentage if you subtract the institutions--many of which we the taxpayers carry the subscription costs so to them it's "free."

I think the point is that the Adobe user-base is substantially different from that of Magix. It's mostly a professional user-base that isn't as price-sensitive as that of Magix and is locked-in to a substantial degree.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think the point is that the Adobe user-base is substantially different from that of Magix. It's mostly a professional user-base that isn't as price-sensitive as that of Magix and is locked-in to a substantial degree.
    I think you are glossing over the point. That's ok.

There are companies smaller than Magix that have gone to, or offer, full subscription. No matter the software company (with few exceptions) that make "productivity software," they wouldn't be in business if it wasn't for the non-professional or prosumer. Few software companies large or small can make it with catering to only professional users.

They are all ripe for subscription models if the companies want to go that route. In this case, size doesn't matter.

Mike

The difference here is that if you stop paying Adobe you lose the right to use their software, with Magix that's not the case.

I don't see that I'm glossing over anything. The Magix subscription model, as described, is very different to the Adobe one.

I kinda feel we're creating some kind of argument where none is needed.

The present Magix model is different. But what I had mentioned in my opening post is their present method is but a small step to full-on subscription. They, nor Xara, are too small to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The present Magix model is different. But what I had mentioned in my opening post is their present method is but a small step to full-on subscription. They, nor Xara, are too small to do so.
    I would agree.

I can't imagine Magix or Xara are that stupid, however small that step is.

Does that mean you will not be able to buy a disk to load onto your computer? I use the program for my job. The problem is that my work computer does not have internet access when I am a work. The other problem is I have to put in a request anytime I need to load a program onto the computer. I would not be able to get any updates if I cannot not use a disk to load it onto the computer.

Welcome to TalkGraphics J Superman

At this point this is all conjecture until Xara announces the new versions. To date, there has been no announcement from Xara.

Even with X11, I don't understand how the present copy protection would work with a computer that cannot phone home due to the current copy protection. I thought it would stop functioning at some point if it couldn't verify the license.