I think there was something mentioned a while back about how to handle computers not connected to the internet. We should have this answer refreshed and posted where we will remember it. I believe that there is a separate area for corporate and education purchasers; J_Superman should check with Xara.

I expect that Xara will continue to issue the program on disk, but I don't know how that would work with the subscription method, because the disk would have to have the latest version or one would have to connect to the internet to get the latest update.

That said, with the subscription method and updates/upgrades scattered throughout the year, what happens if one doesn't subscribe upon the anniversary date but waits 6 months? Will this be possible? Will the person then receive the latest versions with all upgrades or will some be passed over and the subscriber only receives upgrades during the new one year period? Or will the person have to renew the subscription starting with the last anniversary date? This looks like it could become messy. One may miss an upgrade, say a new tool, and then a patch follows during the new subscription period covering the missed tool and more. How would this work?

What about documentation? How does Magix plan on providing updated documentation or user manuals or Help files containing new features as they come out?

Rather than purchase the upgrade right away, would it be better to wait for 6 months until most of the problems have been resolved with the new version, and maybe some new features added? That way one would benefit from 18 months, no?

Magix should clarify the details, not just for Xara, but for their entire lineup.

BTW, Magix/Xara has us by the short and curlies now. They could (but wouldn't dare) simply get to a point where they tell you to upgrade and subscribe or else the next time Xara phones home to check the validity of the serial number vs the device, the program could be deactivated.

Anyway, I don't think that we should panic but simply ask Magix/Xara for clarification. I am sure that they don't want to drive loyal customers away or discourage new ones. So far, they have always been willing to help resolve problems and answer questions.

John