Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New subscription type method for Xara - no version 12

Magix has announced a new subscription type method for its products and I already have one of them (Audio & Music Lab Premium - no date, no number). See this announcement in the Magix newsletter.

Thus, there will be no version 12 of Xara. There will only be the product name, like Xara Web Designer, no number, no date. There will likely be Xara Designer Pro X, but not X12, etc.

The subscription is good for a year. If you don't renew, you can keep using the product but get no new updates.

This should solve problems of having to set up everything each time a new version was purchased, and maybe new features will come out as they are developed.

Comments?

John

Default Re: New subscription type method for Xara - no version 12

I think that's excellent.

I am not sure that I gain anything by this. As I , in essence, have been doing this for years. I always buy the new version at a "Special price". I look forward to the new product announcements each year.
    It is not clear if new features would come out in dribs and drabs, or in a new release as today.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Grace, I think that's the point. With a subscription model Magix can do continual updates rather than a load of features once a year. It won't make any real difference when you buy the subscription because there is no single time when everything happens.

Currently everyone waits until the new software version is released so there's a massive spike in income around the release and probably a massive dip just before it - the software income will be somewhat seasonal.

It's a good thing, I think. It should mean getting feature updates much quicker. Even if Magix still did make releases once a year, you know that a purchase in January will make you eligible for a new release in August (or whenever), even though you bought in January. It would flatten the sales and reduce the spikes and troughs.

I should add that the post above refers to Magix. It's unsafe to assume Xara will necessary switch to that model, though they may well do.

Paul,

The message interestingly states: "From now on, new editions of MAGIX software will be published without version number or year. Program names like MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2016 or MAGIX Web Designer 11 are a thing of the past."

As far as I know, there is no MAGIX Web Designer 11, only Xara Web Designer 11. I checked on the Magix.com site and it says Xara.... I wonder if Magix is intending on dropping the Xara name.

I wonder if Magix is intending on dropping the Xara name.

Who knows?

In any event, the posting of the announcement by Magix is somewhat irresponsible without proper clarification. It's somewhat sad that you pointed this out rather than someone from Xara. Very unprofessional.

I have not heard a peep about this from Xara, but I suspect if this is something Magix are doing, they are Xara's parent company, so...?

..so they should realise that a large number of users involved with the Xara brand will be wondering what the heck is going on ..

There seems to be some redundancy between Magix and Xara in the newsletter/magazine area. For example, there is the Xara Outsider and the Magix Magazine. The latter points directly to the Web part where there are articles about using Xara Web Designer, and there is a Photo & Graphics tab with articles about Xara. There also seems to be Magix Newsletter and even though I have signed up for it several times, I never seem to get anything. There are also Xara.com and Magix.com which seem to be just advertising, with little content, but at least with some links to other places. There are others to do with Magix like magix-audio.com. And there is Xara Xone, which at least gets a link from TG.

Point is, there seems to be no common thread. Xara and Magix announce the same things at different times but make no reference to the matching magazine/newsletter site. They even offer competing prices on the products of each side. I found some of the Magix and Xara sites by accident, usually someone mentioned them somewhere in a forum.

I would have thought that news like this would have been mentioned under TG Announcements at an early date to keep loyal users (paying clients) aware as to what is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think that's excellent.
    It's a small step from this Magix model to full-on subscription (ala Adobe). That is what I would be concerned about.