Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The LION arrives: watch your wildebeests!

I just looked into Xara software yesterday, when Serif announced that it would go no further with WebPlus X8. LION is very disappointed, but bought two copies of Xara Design 11 Premium to try them out. We were just planning on doing a long overdue overhaul of our web site, so we pushed that project back a bit to look at this software. I sure wish I could find an Instruction Book to go with this. Help is nice, but it does not replace a book, at least not to my furry little mind. I will be doing much of the work on the new website from my office in NETWORK CENTRAL, and another monk will work on this from the library computer. (That's why I bought two copies)... But once we get the site up and running, others will be working on the site with us. I am sure that they will not need the full premium edition, but could work from the cheaper $49.00 version, since all that they will be doing is correcting text here and there, opr perhaps changing pictures out. just to keep the site up to date. Thanks for your thought on the book on on using two different forms of Web Designer on the same site.

Elias

Default Re: The LION arrives: watch your wildebeests!

Welcome to TalkGraphics

The best you can do is Help > Movies. These are videos that walk you through the basics.

The Xara Xone http://www.xaraxone.com/us/ has a lot of tutorials.

And of course, your best source of info, right here.

I'm relatively a newbie with Xara, too. One thing came to mind as I was reading your question, so I'll just post that thought here and let the others that know more than me say yes or no.

My thought is that if you design a website with the Premium version and use some element that is available only in the Premium version, would the Basic version be able to open it and then be able to save it with that Premium design element intact?

On the one hand, I think yes it would work, if you're just changing basic stuff that the Basic version can do, it won't matter what other code is in the web file.

But on the other hand, is there a possibility it wouldn't work? I don't remember what the Premium version can do that the Basic version can't, but just for example let's say you use a "sticky" or maybe have a mobile variant made or something the Basic can't do. Would it open in Basic?

Just thinking off the top of my head. You don't want to get a surprise down the road when you try to do something.

The basic version can open a file created with the Premium version but I am not certain that the features unique to the Premium version will work. And I am certain these features cannot be edited in the basic version.

If you want all the features then go with the Premium version.

At any rate you can download both and try them free for 30 days. (After about 5 days you need to submit some information to Xara to be able to continue your free trial.

All the features are operational but I believe the templates and some of the content gallery items are not available for the trial copies.

You could buy the manual for Designer Pro here. It is on the right side quite far down the page.
    It would describe some features Webdesigner Premium doesn't have though.

There are also some great and detailed recent tutorials by members:

XaraXhris all about Designer Pro

and

nazf355 about creating a web site.

John

Generally, I have found I can create objects in Pro and edit them in Premium. It is the creation of a capability that the lesser versions typically cannot handle.

You have Premium now so download a trial non-Premium when you site is ready for sub-editing.
    Then go through all the expected workflows the sub-editing will entail.

Note what works, what doesn't and document what you can fudge.
    Make you decision then.

Personally, i would stick with the same version throughout.
    To make it cheaper, buy future versions through your affiliate link.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Lion View Post
    But once we get the site up and running, others will be working on the site with us. I am sure that they will not need the full premium edition, but could work from the cheaper $49.00 version, since all that they will be doing is correcting text here and there, opr perhaps changing pictures out.
    Elias
    Hello,
    you may think the feature "Xara_OnlineDesigner_cloud" as an valuable add-on for the task you mentioned above.

Regards,
    Holger